Re: [TalkAntietam] 8th Georgia

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
      Stephen --

      I admire you! What you are doing is so critically important, and so seldom
      done -- or, at least, so seldom done well. If history doesn't inspire, then
      it serves little useful purpose. Tell the stories of the heroes of old to
      the youth of today, and this, in the tradition of the tribal campfire, is
      how the culture and mores and values of a nation carry on. I never refuse
      an opportunity to speak in a classroom -- 5th grade to college. It is why I
      do what I do. Keep it up!

      Richard
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
        Steve,
        So far, the only stuff i have found in Carman's correspondence is a
        series of letters with G.T. Anderson, who says he lost his papers
        between Richmond and Appomattox. :-(

        >>> recker@... 04/12/06 9:15 AM >>>
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006

          So kind of you to look. Ouch, though. Guess that explains why there is
          not much to go on.

          Cheers,
          -sjr

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
            That's kind of you to say, but I think kudos should go out to ALL the
            good folks who do tours out there. I just booked a tour for a man who
            has adopted a 'Little Brother' in Ohio and is bringing this kid here
            for a tour. This young man has severe disabilities, yet the first guide
            I asked to take the tour jumped at the chance. The man who 'adopted'
            him and this guide are the folks you should admire.

            Also, those rangers at the park. Talk about unsung heroes. I know we
            have all been disappointed by the small offering of ranger tours this
            spring. It might be a good thing if some of you were to, in the
            kindest, most gentle, most supportive manner, drop a note to the park
            and express your interest in having more ranger tours.

            Stephen

          • RoteBaron@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
              Make sure to visit the 8th GA website at:
              http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thGeorgiaInfantry.html

              On that site, plenty of chatter among fans and descendents of 8th GA here:
              http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thguest2.htm

              Also on that site, this guy summarizes his 8th GA ancestor's experiences in the war:
              http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/townsende.htm

              From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                Actually my Antietam book is dedicated (in part) to Walter Smith -- a
                private tour-giver who spent two days with me on the field. The moment I
                met him he saked, "How long to you think we'll be out there today?" I said,
                "Till the sun goes down or victory is won!" We became great friends. He
                taught me a great deal that Sears left out and made my book better. Walter
                later suffered a heart attack at the park preparing to give another of his
                well-loved tours. I will never forget those two beautiful days. Gop bless
                Watler Somit all all of those who share his passion.

                Richard