Re: [TalkAntietam] 8th Georgia

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
      Stephen;

      In my prior experience, almost every unit which was at Anteitam has
      its own file folder. That is not saying ANBP will have or will not
      have much in the folder, but you never know.

      The new library is not at the VC but over near the Pry House.

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
        Stephen --

        I admire you! What you are doing is so critically important, and so seldom
        done -- or, at least, so seldom done well. If history doesn't inspire, then
        it serves little useful purpose. Tell the stories of the heroes of old to
        the youth of today, and this, in the tradition of the tribal campfire, is
        how the culture and mores and values of a nation carry on. I never refuse
        an opportunity to speak in a classroom -- 5th grade to college. It is why I
        do what I do. Keep it up!

        Richard
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
          Steve,
          So far, the only stuff i have found in Carman's correspondence is a
          series of letters with G.T. Anderson, who says he lost his papers
          between Richmond and Appomattox. :-(

          >>> recker@... 04/12/06 9:15 AM >>>
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006

            So kind of you to look. Ouch, though. Guess that explains why there is
            not much to go on.

            Cheers,
            -sjr

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
              That's kind of you to say, but I think kudos should go out to ALL the
              good folks who do tours out there. I just booked a tour for a man who
              has adopted a 'Little Brother' in Ohio and is bringing this kid here
              for a tour. This young man has severe disabilities, yet the first guide
              I asked to take the tour jumped at the chance. The man who 'adopted'
              him and this guide are the folks you should admire.

              Also, those rangers at the park. Talk about unsung heroes. I know we
              have all been disappointed by the small offering of ranger tours this
              spring. It might be a good thing if some of you were to, in the
              kindest, most gentle, most supportive manner, drop a note to the park
              and express your interest in having more ranger tours.

              Stephen

            • RoteBaron@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                Make sure to visit the 8th GA website at:
                http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thGeorgiaInfantry.html

                On that site, plenty of chatter among fans and descendents of 8th GA here:
                http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thguest2.htm

                Also on that site, this guy summarizes his 8th GA ancestor's experiences in the war:
                http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/townsende.htm

                From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

              • richard@rcroker.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                  Actually my Antietam book is dedicated (in part) to Walter Smith -- a
                  private tour-giver who spent two days with me on the field. The moment I
                  met him he saked, "How long to you think we'll be out there today?" I said,
                  "Till the sun goes down or victory is won!" We became great friends. He
                  taught me a great deal that Sears left out and made my book better. Walter
                  later suffered a heart attack at the park preparing to give another of his
                  well-loved tours. I will never forget those two beautiful days. Gop bless
                  Watler Somit all all of those who share his passion.

                  Richard