Re: [TalkAntietam] 8th Georgia

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
      Stephen;

      In my prior experience, almost every unit which was at Anteitam has
      its own file folder. That is not saying ANBP will have or will not
      have much in the folder, but you never know.

      The new library is not at the VC but over near the Pry House.

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
        Nothing too particular. I'm giving a tour to a group of folks from
        Georgia that have some ancestors in the 8th, and am interested in some
        good anecdotes. That's all. Thanks.

        Stephen

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
          Stephen --

          I admire you! What you are doing is so critically important, and so seldom
          done -- or, at least, so seldom done well. If history doesn't inspire, then
          it serves little useful purpose. Tell the stories of the heroes of old to
          the youth of today, and this, in the tradition of the tribal campfire, is
          how the culture and mores and values of a nation carry on. I never refuse
          an opportunity to speak in a classroom -- 5th grade to college. It is why I
          do what I do. Keep it up!

          Richard

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
            Steve,
            So far, the only stuff i have found in Carman's correspondence is a
            series of letters with G.T. Anderson, who says he lost his papers
            between Richmond and Appomattox. :-(

            >>> recker@... 04/12/06 9:15 AM >>>
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006

              So kind of you to look. Ouch, though. Guess that explains why there is
              not much to go on.

              Cheers,
              -sjr

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                That's kind of you to say, but I think kudos should go out to ALL the
                good folks who do tours out there. I just booked a tour for a man who
                has adopted a 'Little Brother' in Ohio and is bringing this kid here
                for a tour. This young man has severe disabilities, yet the first guide
                I asked to take the tour jumped at the chance. The man who 'adopted'
                him and this guide are the folks you should admire.

                Also, those rangers at the park. Talk about unsung heroes. I know we
                have all been disappointed by the small offering of ranger tours this
                spring. It might be a good thing if some of you were to, in the
                kindest, most gentle, most supportive manner, drop a note to the park
                and express your interest in having more ranger tours.

                Stephen

              • RoteBaron@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                  Make sure to visit the 8th GA website at:
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thGeorgiaInfantry.html

                  On that site, plenty of chatter among fans and descendents of 8th GA here:
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thguest2.htm

                  Also on that site, this guy summarizes his 8th GA ancestor's experiences in the war:
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/townsende.htm

                  From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                    Actually my Antietam book is dedicated (in part) to Walter Smith -- a
                    private tour-giver who spent two days with me on the field. The moment I
                    met him he saked, "How long to you think we'll be out there today?" I said,
                    "Till the sun goes down or victory is won!" We became great friends. He
                    taught me a great deal that Sears left out and made my book better. Walter
                    later suffered a heart attack at the park preparing to give another of his
                    well-loved tours. I will never forget those two beautiful days. Gop bless
                    Watler Somit all all of those who share his passion.

                    Richard