Re: [TalkAntietam] 8th Georgia

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 12 6:05 AM
      Anything in particular you're looking for? Our library here has a "Georgia
      Room" where Georgia units are "featured."

      Richard

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 12 6:15 AM
        Great idea. I'll check it out. Thanks.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 12 6:15 AM
          I'm heading over there Friday and will look. Thanks.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 12 6:31 AM
            Stephen;

            In my prior experience, almost every unit which was at Anteitam has
            its own file folder. That is not saying ANBP will have or will not
            have much in the folder, but you never know.

            The new library is not at the VC but over near the Pry House.

            God. --Anonymous

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 12 6:56 AM
              Nothing too particular. I'm giving a tour to a group of folks from
              Georgia that have some ancestors in the 8th, and am interested in some
              good anecdotes. That's all. Thanks.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 12 7:53 AM
                Stephen --

                I admire you! What you are doing is so critically important, and so seldom
                done -- or, at least, so seldom done well. If history doesn't inspire, then
                it serves little useful purpose. Tell the stories of the heroes of old to
                the youth of today, and this, in the tradition of the tribal campfire, is
                how the culture and mores and values of a nation carry on. I never refuse
                an opportunity to speak in a classroom -- 5th grade to college. It is why I
                do what I do. Keep it up!

                Richard

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 12 8:14 AM
                  Steve,
                  So far, the only stuff i have found in Carman's correspondence is a
                  series of letters with G.T. Anderson, who says he lost his papers
                  between Richmond and Appomattox. :-(

                  >>> recker@... 04/12/06 9:15 AM >>>
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 12 8:17 AM

                    So kind of you to look. Ouch, though. Guess that explains why there is
                    not much to go on.

                    Cheers,
                    -sjr

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 12 8:25 AM
                      That's kind of you to say, but I think kudos should go out to ALL the
                      good folks who do tours out there. I just booked a tour for a man who
                      has adopted a 'Little Brother' in Ohio and is bringing this kid here
                      for a tour. This young man has severe disabilities, yet the first guide
                      I asked to take the tour jumped at the chance. The man who 'adopted'
                      him and this guide are the folks you should admire.

                      Also, those rangers at the park. Talk about unsung heroes. I know we
                      have all been disappointed by the small offering of ranger tours this
                      spring. It might be a good thing if some of you were to, in the
                      kindest, most gentle, most supportive manner, drop a note to the park
                      and express your interest in having more ranger tours.

                      Stephen

                    • RoteBaron@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 12 9:01 AM
                        Make sure to visit the 8th GA website at:
                        http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thGeorgiaInfantry.html

                        On that site, plenty of chatter among fans and descendents of 8th GA here:
                        http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thguest2.htm

                        Also on that site, this guy summarizes his 8th GA ancestor's experiences in the war:
                        http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/townsende.htm

                        From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 12 11:32 AM
                          Actually my Antietam book is dedicated (in part) to Walter Smith -- a
                          private tour-giver who spent two days with me on the field. The moment I
                          met him he saked, "How long to you think we'll be out there today?" I said,
                          "Till the sun goes down or victory is won!" We became great friends. He
                          taught me a great deal that Sears left out and made my book better. Walter
                          later suffered a heart attack at the park preparing to give another of his
                          well-loved tours. I will never forget those two beautiful days. Gop bless
                          Watler Somit all all of those who share his passion.

                          Richard