Re: [TalkAntietam] 8th Georgia

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
      Steve;

      Have you checked with the library at Antietam NBP?

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
        Anything in particular you're looking for? Our library here has a "Georgia
        Room" where Georgia units are "featured."

        Richard

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
          Great idea. I'll check it out. Thanks.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
            I'm heading over there Friday and will look. Thanks.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
              Stephen;

              In my prior experience, almost every unit which was at Anteitam has
              its own file folder. That is not saying ANBP will have or will not
              have much in the folder, but you never know.

              The new library is not at the VC but over near the Pry House.

              God. --Anonymous

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                Nothing too particular. I'm giving a tour to a group of folks from
                Georgia that have some ancestors in the 8th, and am interested in some
                good anecdotes. That's all. Thanks.

                Stephen

              • richard@rcroker.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                  Stephen --

                  I admire you! What you are doing is so critically important, and so seldom
                  done -- or, at least, so seldom done well. If history doesn't inspire, then
                  it serves little useful purpose. Tell the stories of the heroes of old to
                  the youth of today, and this, in the tradition of the tribal campfire, is
                  how the culture and mores and values of a nation carry on. I never refuse
                  an opportunity to speak in a classroom -- 5th grade to college. It is why I
                  do what I do. Keep it up!

                  Richard

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                    Steve,
                    So far, the only stuff i have found in Carman's correspondence is a
                    series of letters with G.T. Anderson, who says he lost his papers
                    between Richmond and Appomattox. :-(

                    >>> recker@... 04/12/06 9:15 AM >>>
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                      Tom,

                      So kind of you to look. Ouch, though. Guess that explains why there is
                      not much to go on.

                      Cheers,
                      -sjr

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                        That's kind of you to say, but I think kudos should go out to ALL the
                        good folks who do tours out there. I just booked a tour for a man who
                        has adopted a 'Little Brother' in Ohio and is bringing this kid here
                        for a tour. This young man has severe disabilities, yet the first guide
                        I asked to take the tour jumped at the chance. The man who 'adopted'
                        him and this guide are the folks you should admire.

                        Also, those rangers at the park. Talk about unsung heroes. I know we
                        have all been disappointed by the small offering of ranger tours this
                        spring. It might be a good thing if some of you were to, in the
                        kindest, most gentle, most supportive manner, drop a note to the park
                        and express your interest in having more ranger tours.

                        Stephen

                      • RoteBaron@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                          Make sure to visit the 8th GA website at:
                          http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thGeorgiaInfantry.html

                          On that site, plenty of chatter among fans and descendents of 8th GA here:
                          http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thguest2.htm

                          Also on that site, this guy summarizes his 8th GA ancestor's experiences in the war:
                          http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/townsende.htm

                          From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                            Actually my Antietam book is dedicated (in part) to Walter Smith -- a
                            private tour-giver who spent two days with me on the field. The moment I
                            met him he saked, "How long to you think we'll be out there today?" I said,
                            "Till the sun goes down or victory is won!" We became great friends. He
                            taught me a great deal that Sears left out and made my book better. Walter
                            later suffered a heart attack at the park preparing to give another of his
                            well-loved tours. I will never forget those two beautiful days. Gop bless
                            Watler Somit all all of those who share his passion.

                            Richard