RE: [TalkAntietam] 8th Georgia

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
      Stephen,

      I don't know for sure that it even has one, but check out the bibliography
      in "A Scythe of Fire", which is a recent history of the 8th GA.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
        Steve;

        Have you checked with the library at Antietam NBP?

        God. --Anonymous

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
          Anything in particular you're looking for? Our library here has a "Georgia
          Room" where Georgia units are "featured."

          Richard

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
            Great idea. I'll check it out. Thanks.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
              I'm heading over there Friday and will look. Thanks.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                Stephen;

                In my prior experience, almost every unit which was at Anteitam has
                its own file folder. That is not saying ANBP will have or will not
                have much in the folder, but you never know.

                The new library is not at the VC but over near the Pry House.

                God. --Anonymous

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                  Nothing too particular. I'm giving a tour to a group of folks from
                  Georgia that have some ancestors in the 8th, and am interested in some
                  good anecdotes. That's all. Thanks.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                    Stephen --

                    I admire you! What you are doing is so critically important, and so seldom
                    done -- or, at least, so seldom done well. If history doesn't inspire, then
                    it serves little useful purpose. Tell the stories of the heroes of old to
                    the youth of today, and this, in the tradition of the tribal campfire, is
                    how the culture and mores and values of a nation carry on. I never refuse
                    an opportunity to speak in a classroom -- 5th grade to college. It is why I
                    do what I do. Keep it up!

                    Richard

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                      Steve,
                      So far, the only stuff i have found in Carman's correspondence is a
                      series of letters with G.T. Anderson, who says he lost his papers
                      between Richmond and Appomattox. :-(

                      >>> recker@... 04/12/06 9:15 AM >>>
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006

                        So kind of you to look. Ouch, though. Guess that explains why there is
                        not much to go on.

                        Cheers,
                        -sjr

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                          That's kind of you to say, but I think kudos should go out to ALL the
                          good folks who do tours out there. I just booked a tour for a man who
                          has adopted a 'Little Brother' in Ohio and is bringing this kid here
                          for a tour. This young man has severe disabilities, yet the first guide
                          I asked to take the tour jumped at the chance. The man who 'adopted'
                          him and this guide are the folks you should admire.

                          Also, those rangers at the park. Talk about unsung heroes. I know we
                          have all been disappointed by the small offering of ranger tours this
                          spring. It might be a good thing if some of you were to, in the
                          kindest, most gentle, most supportive manner, drop a note to the park
                          and express your interest in having more ranger tours.

                          Stephen

                        • RoteBaron@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                            Make sure to visit the 8th GA website at:
                            http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thGeorgiaInfantry.html

                            On that site, plenty of chatter among fans and descendents of 8th GA here:
                            http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thguest2.htm

                            Also on that site, this guy summarizes his 8th GA ancestor's experiences in the war:
                            http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/townsende.htm

                            From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                              Actually my Antietam book is dedicated (in part) to Walter Smith -- a
                              private tour-giver who spent two days with me on the field. The moment I
                              met him he saked, "How long to you think we'll be out there today?" I said,
                              "Till the sun goes down or victory is won!" We became great friends. He
                              taught me a great deal that Sears left out and made my book better. Walter
                              later suffered a heart attack at the park preparing to give another of his
                              well-loved tours. I will never forget those two beautiful days. Gop bless
                              Watler Somit all all of those who share his passion.

                              Richard