Re: Antietam on History Channel

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 10, 2006
      I was very happy to have been invited to the Premiere of the History
      Channel Antietam film Saturday at the Battlefield. I would not
      otherwise have seen it yet. I enjoyed the film, mostly. See blogged
      impressions for more:
      http://aotw.org/blog/2006/04/09/world-premiere-at-antietam/ .

      By now I hope you have all seen it, I'd be interested to hear what you
      think. I think it's among the best looking TV on the battle in years.

      Back at you Tom: it was good to meet face to face and chat with you,
      and Stephen too. The jokes were fun, but y'all should probably keep
      your daytime, paying jobs.

      Regards,
      Brian

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
        Hello,

        I am looking for accounts of the 8th Georgia at Antietam. I've been
        looking at all the usual sources and have been coming up short. Anyone
        have any ideas where I might try next? Thanks.

        Stephen
      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
          Stephen,

          I don't know for sure that it even has one, but check out the bibliography
          in "A Scythe of Fire", which is a recent history of the 8th GA.

          Harry

          I am looking for accounts of the 8th Georgia at Antietam. I've been
          looking at all the usual sources and have been coming up short. Anyone
          have any ideas where I might try next? Thanks.

          Stephen

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

          _____

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
            Steve;

            Have you checked with the library at Antietam NBP?

            God. --Anonymous

          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
              Anything in particular you're looking for? Our library here has a "Georgia
              Room" where Georgia units are "featured."

              Richard

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                Great idea. I'll check it out. Thanks.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                  I'm heading over there Friday and will look. Thanks.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                    Stephen;

                    In my prior experience, almost every unit which was at Anteitam has
                    its own file folder. That is not saying ANBP will have or will not
                    have much in the folder, but you never know.

                    The new library is not at the VC but over near the Pry House.

                    God. --Anonymous

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                      Nothing too particular. I'm giving a tour to a group of folks from
                      Georgia that have some ancestors in the 8th, and am interested in some
                      good anecdotes. That's all. Thanks.

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                        Stephen --

                        I admire you! What you are doing is so critically important, and so seldom
                        done -- or, at least, so seldom done well. If history doesn't inspire, then
                        it serves little useful purpose. Tell the stories of the heroes of old to
                        the youth of today, and this, in the tradition of the tribal campfire, is
                        how the culture and mores and values of a nation carry on. I never refuse
                        an opportunity to speak in a classroom -- 5th grade to college. It is why I
                        do what I do. Keep it up!

                        Richard

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                          Steve,
                          So far, the only stuff i have found in Carman's correspondence is a
                          series of letters with G.T. Anderson, who says he lost his papers
                          between Richmond and Appomattox. :-(

                          >>> recker@... 04/12/06 9:15 AM >>>
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006

                            So kind of you to look. Ouch, though. Guess that explains why there is
                            not much to go on.

                            Cheers,
                            -sjr

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                              That's kind of you to say, but I think kudos should go out to ALL the
                              good folks who do tours out there. I just booked a tour for a man who
                              has adopted a 'Little Brother' in Ohio and is bringing this kid here
                              for a tour. This young man has severe disabilities, yet the first guide
                              I asked to take the tour jumped at the chance. The man who 'adopted'
                              him and this guide are the folks you should admire.

                              Also, those rangers at the park. Talk about unsung heroes. I know we
                              have all been disappointed by the small offering of ranger tours this
                              spring. It might be a good thing if some of you were to, in the
                              kindest, most gentle, most supportive manner, drop a note to the park
                              and express your interest in having more ranger tours.

                              Stephen

                            • RoteBaron@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                                Make sure to visit the 8th GA website at:
                                http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thGeorgiaInfantry.html

                                On that site, plenty of chatter among fans and descendents of 8th GA here:
                                http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thguest2.htm

                                Also on that site, this guy summarizes his 8th GA ancestor's experiences in the war:
                                http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/townsende.htm

                                From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                                  Actually my Antietam book is dedicated (in part) to Walter Smith -- a
                                  private tour-giver who spent two days with me on the field. The moment I
                                  met him he saked, "How long to you think we'll be out there today?" I said,
                                  "Till the sun goes down or victory is won!" We became great friends. He
                                  taught me a great deal that Sears left out and made my book better. Walter
                                  later suffered a heart attack at the park preparing to give another of his
                                  well-loved tours. I will never forget those two beautiful days. Gop bless
                                  Watler Somit all all of those who share his passion.

                                  Richard