Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam on History Channel

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 10, 2006
      Yeah -- whodathunk it? Dr. Robertson is soooo Southern he made me sound
      like a gosh-darned New Yorker!!!! Proud to share the screen with all those
      guys. I've alway been a Dennis Frye fan. I'm convinced the man was THERE!

      Richard

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 10, 2006
        I was very happy to have been invited to the Premiere of the History
        Channel Antietam film Saturday at the Battlefield. I would not
        otherwise have seen it yet. I enjoyed the film, mostly. See blogged
        impressions for more:
        http://aotw.org/blog/2006/04/09/world-premiere-at-antietam/ .

        By now I hope you have all seen it, I'd be interested to hear what you
        think. I think it's among the best looking TV on the battle in years.

        Back at you Tom: it was good to meet face to face and chat with you,
        and Stephen too. The jokes were fun, but y'all should probably keep
        your daytime, paying jobs.

        Regards,
        Brian

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
          Hello,

          I am looking for accounts of the 8th Georgia at Antietam. I've been
          looking at all the usual sources and have been coming up short. Anyone
          have any ideas where I might try next? Thanks.

          Stephen
        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
            Stephen,

            I don't know for sure that it even has one, but check out the bibliography
            in "A Scythe of Fire", which is a recent history of the 8th GA.

            Harry

            I am looking for accounts of the 8th Georgia at Antietam. I've been
            looking at all the usual sources and have been coming up short. Anyone
            have any ideas where I might try next? Thanks.

            Stephen

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

            _____

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
              Steve;

              Have you checked with the library at Antietam NBP?

              God. --Anonymous

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                Anything in particular you're looking for? Our library here has a "Georgia
                Room" where Georgia units are "featured."

                Richard

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                  Great idea. I'll check it out. Thanks.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                    I'm heading over there Friday and will look. Thanks.

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                      Stephen;

                      In my prior experience, almost every unit which was at Anteitam has
                      its own file folder. That is not saying ANBP will have or will not
                      have much in the folder, but you never know.

                      The new library is not at the VC but over near the Pry House.

                      God. --Anonymous

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                        Nothing too particular. I'm giving a tour to a group of folks from
                        Georgia that have some ancestors in the 8th, and am interested in some
                        good anecdotes. That's all. Thanks.

                        Stephen

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                          Stephen --

                          I admire you! What you are doing is so critically important, and so seldom
                          done -- or, at least, so seldom done well. If history doesn't inspire, then
                          it serves little useful purpose. Tell the stories of the heroes of old to
                          the youth of today, and this, in the tradition of the tribal campfire, is
                          how the culture and mores and values of a nation carry on. I never refuse
                          an opportunity to speak in a classroom -- 5th grade to college. It is why I
                          do what I do. Keep it up!

                          Richard

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                            Steve,
                            So far, the only stuff i have found in Carman's correspondence is a
                            series of letters with G.T. Anderson, who says he lost his papers
                            between Richmond and Appomattox. :-(

                            >>> recker@... 04/12/06 9:15 AM >>>
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006

                              So kind of you to look. Ouch, though. Guess that explains why there is
                              not much to go on.

                              Cheers,
                              -sjr

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                                That's kind of you to say, but I think kudos should go out to ALL the
                                good folks who do tours out there. I just booked a tour for a man who
                                has adopted a 'Little Brother' in Ohio and is bringing this kid here
                                for a tour. This young man has severe disabilities, yet the first guide
                                I asked to take the tour jumped at the chance. The man who 'adopted'
                                him and this guide are the folks you should admire.

                                Also, those rangers at the park. Talk about unsung heroes. I know we
                                have all been disappointed by the small offering of ranger tours this
                                spring. It might be a good thing if some of you were to, in the
                                kindest, most gentle, most supportive manner, drop a note to the park
                                and express your interest in having more ranger tours.

                                Stephen

                              • RoteBaron@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                                  Make sure to visit the 8th GA website at:
                                  http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thGeorgiaInfantry.html

                                  On that site, plenty of chatter among fans and descendents of 8th GA here:
                                  http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thguest2.htm

                                  Also on that site, this guy summarizes his 8th GA ancestor's experiences in the war:
                                  http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/townsende.htm

                                  From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                                    Actually my Antietam book is dedicated (in part) to Walter Smith -- a
                                    private tour-giver who spent two days with me on the field. The moment I
                                    met him he saked, "How long to you think we'll be out there today?" I said,
                                    "Till the sun goes down or victory is won!" We became great friends. He
                                    taught me a great deal that Sears left out and made my book better. Walter
                                    later suffered a heart attack at the park preparing to give another of his
                                    well-loved tours. I will never forget those two beautiful days. Gop bless
                                    Watler Somit all all of those who share his passion.

                                    Richard