Antietam on History Channel

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 9, 2006
      I know many of our regulars are in the Valley today, (better weather
      today than yesterday!), but if possible try to watch the program tonight
      at 9 EDST about Antietam. While I have some strong opinions about hte
      history in the program,(imagine that!) the visual imagery is
      spectacular. Richard Croker also does a fine job with his comments too;
      I know he is on this list. We can have fun picking it apart later, but
      please watch it.
      I also had the pleasure of meeting Brian Downey and his wife Katie.
      Brian maintains the Antietam on the Web site and it was greatto finally
      put a face with a name. Thanks for all you do Brian.
      Tom Clemens--

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 9, 2006
        Tom --

        You neglected to mention how good I LOOKED. I mean I LOOKED really good. I
        mean -- damn! Wish I looked that good in "real life!"

        Richard

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 10, 2006
          Richard;

          So NICE to finally put a face with the emails I have been receiving
          from you, via this board and also personally!

          You are traveling in some exalted company, sir!

          1788

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 10, 2006
            Who was that good lookin' guy on the Antietam show last night. His name
            was Richard something. Really smart and boy, good looking!

            Stephen

            ;-)
          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 10, 2006
              There you go!!!! That's more like it.

              Good Lookin' Richard

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 10, 2006
                Yeah -- whodathunk it? Dr. Robertson is soooo Southern he made me sound
                like a gosh-darned New Yorker!!!! Proud to share the screen with all those
                guys. I've alway been a Dennis Frye fan. I'm convinced the man was THERE!

                Richard

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 10, 2006
                  I was very happy to have been invited to the Premiere of the History
                  Channel Antietam film Saturday at the Battlefield. I would not
                  otherwise have seen it yet. I enjoyed the film, mostly. See blogged
                  impressions for more:
                  http://aotw.org/blog/2006/04/09/world-premiere-at-antietam/ .

                  By now I hope you have all seen it, I'd be interested to hear what you
                  think. I think it's among the best looking TV on the battle in years.

                  Back at you Tom: it was good to meet face to face and chat with you,
                  and Stephen too. The jokes were fun, but y'all should probably keep
                  your daytime, paying jobs.

                  Regards,
                  Brian

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                    Hello,

                    I am looking for accounts of the 8th Georgia at Antietam. I've been
                    looking at all the usual sources and have been coming up short. Anyone
                    have any ideas where I might try next? Thanks.

                    Stephen
                  • Harry Smeltzer
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                      Stephen,

                      I don't know for sure that it even has one, but check out the bibliography
                      in "A Scythe of Fire", which is a recent history of the 8th GA.

                      Harry

                      I am looking for accounts of the 8th Georgia at Antietam. I've been
                      looking at all the usual sources and have been coming up short. Anyone
                      have any ideas where I might try next? Thanks.

                      Stephen

                      _____

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                        Steve;

                        Have you checked with the library at Antietam NBP?

                        God. --Anonymous

                      • richard@rcroker.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                          Anything in particular you're looking for? Our library here has a "Georgia
                          Room" where Georgia units are "featured."

                          Richard

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                            Great idea. I'll check it out. Thanks.

                            Stephen

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                              I'm heading over there Friday and will look. Thanks.

                              Stephen

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                                Stephen;

                                In my prior experience, almost every unit which was at Anteitam has
                                its own file folder. That is not saying ANBP will have or will not
                                have much in the folder, but you never know.

                                The new library is not at the VC but over near the Pry House.

                                God. --Anonymous

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                                  Nothing too particular. I'm giving a tour to a group of folks from
                                  Georgia that have some ancestors in the 8th, and am interested in some
                                  good anecdotes. That's all. Thanks.

                                  Stephen

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                                    Stephen --

                                    I admire you! What you are doing is so critically important, and so seldom
                                    done -- or, at least, so seldom done well. If history doesn't inspire, then
                                    it serves little useful purpose. Tell the stories of the heroes of old to
                                    the youth of today, and this, in the tradition of the tribal campfire, is
                                    how the culture and mores and values of a nation carry on. I never refuse
                                    an opportunity to speak in a classroom -- 5th grade to college. It is why I
                                    do what I do. Keep it up!

                                    Richard

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                                      Steve,
                                      So far, the only stuff i have found in Carman's correspondence is a
                                      series of letters with G.T. Anderson, who says he lost his papers
                                      between Richmond and Appomattox. :-(

                                      >>> recker@... 04/12/06 9:15 AM >>>
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006

                                        So kind of you to look. Ouch, though. Guess that explains why there is
                                        not much to go on.

                                        Cheers,
                                        -sjr

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                                          That's kind of you to say, but I think kudos should go out to ALL the
                                          good folks who do tours out there. I just booked a tour for a man who
                                          has adopted a 'Little Brother' in Ohio and is bringing this kid here
                                          for a tour. This young man has severe disabilities, yet the first guide
                                          I asked to take the tour jumped at the chance. The man who 'adopted'
                                          him and this guide are the folks you should admire.

                                          Also, those rangers at the park. Talk about unsung heroes. I know we
                                          have all been disappointed by the small offering of ranger tours this
                                          spring. It might be a good thing if some of you were to, in the
                                          kindest, most gentle, most supportive manner, drop a note to the park
                                          and express your interest in having more ranger tours.

                                          Stephen

                                        • RoteBaron@comcast.net
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                                            Make sure to visit the 8th GA website at:
                                            http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thGeorgiaInfantry.html

                                            On that site, plenty of chatter among fans and descendents of 8th GA here:
                                            http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/8thguest2.htm

                                            Also on that site, this guy summarizes his 8th GA ancestor's experiences in the war:
                                            http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/townsende.htm

                                            From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                                              Actually my Antietam book is dedicated (in part) to Walter Smith -- a
                                              private tour-giver who spent two days with me on the field. The moment I
                                              met him he saked, "How long to you think we'll be out there today?" I said,
                                              "Till the sun goes down or victory is won!" We became great friends. He
                                              taught me a great deal that Sears left out and made my book better. Walter
                                              later suffered a heart attack at the park preparing to give another of his
                                              well-loved tours. I will never forget those two beautiful days. Gop bless
                                              Watler Somit all all of those who share his passion.

                                              Richard