Re: [TalkAntietam] Article about Hoods Texans

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 25 9:16 PM
      <<The reason I even asked the question was that I had walked most of the ledge area and I really could not see anything past the post and rail fence as I looked east. >>

      David,
      While walking the ledge with a Ranger, I too felt that it certainly didn't seem to offer much of a "killing zone" for the Union infantry. But I stated, to his amusement, (joking of course) that those Texans were noted for being rather tall.

      Tom Shay
    • David Lutton
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 26 5:46 AM

        Them fellas weren't that tall!
        Again the events that occurred after the movement to the fence are
        understandable. But what caused its necessity?

        David Lutton
        > <<The reason I even asked the question was that I had walked most of the
        ledge area and I really could not see anything past the post and rail fence
        as I looked east. >>

        > David,
        > While walking the ledge with a Ranger, I too felt that it certainly didn't
        seem to offer much of a "killing zone" for the Union infantry. But I stated,
        to his amusement, (joking of course) that those Texans were noted for being
        rather tall.

        > Tom Shay

      • TR Livesey
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 26 3:54 PM
          David,

          Yes, I am showing Hoods troops after they had turned to meet union
          troops
          on their left.

          As for what could be seen, there are a variety of ways to try to
          visualize that.

          I have created a 3rd map

          http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/hl4.gif

          which shows the region of interest with a blue zone of Union troops and
          a red zone of potential Confederate troops. A (grossly exaggerated)
          profile
          map is inset on the lower left. I have shown a yellow line in the main
          image to indicate the alignment of the profile. I have assumed that
          both the Union and Confederate troops have an 'eye level' of 5 feet
          above the ground. In the profile, you can see the discontinuity
          of the red and blue zones - this is the 5 foot vantage point.

          If you place a straight edge on the profile, you should be able to see
          that you can touch the blue zone and the red zone without cutting
          through any intervening ground - that demonstrates a line of sight
          between the two zones along this line. Furthermore, if you hold
          the straight edge at the peak of the blue zone, and at the level
          of the clover where the clover meets the red zone, you can see the
          line cuts fairly deeply into the red zone, certainly to about the
          peak of the high ground south of the cornfield, demonstrating that
          you should be able to see somewhat into the red zone from the
          blue zone (along this line).

          Of course, a field expedition should be used to back these predictions
          up, but the evidence suggests that troops in these positions should
          be able to see one another.

          TRL
          David Lutton wrote:
          Todd,

          Thanks for the information concerning the ledge area of the field. I do
          have one question though. On both of your terrain maps I believe you
          are
          showing the Texas Brigade position as it ultimately became, that is on
          the
          eastern side of the turnpike fence facing west returning fire from the
          ledge
          and Battery B.

          But their original movement was of course north with their left flank
          anchored on the turnpike fence. Could Patrick's and Gibbon's men see
          anything east of the turnpike fence? Or am I mistaked and your
          calculation
          is based on what they could see of the movement of the Texas Brigade as
          it
          moved in a northerly direction?

          The reason I even asked the question was that I had walked most of the
          ledge
          area and I really could not see anything past the post and rail fence as
          looked east. I was under the impression that some of Starke's troops
          moving
          on the west side of the turnpike fence accompanying the Texans on their
          northward advance were the troops that Patrick and Gibbon's troops
          targeted. But I cannot recall where I got that information.

          I'll have to trek that area again sometime during the Anniversary Days
          next
          month. Thanks again, Todd.

          David Lutton
        • David Lutton
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 26 7:08 PM
            Todd,

            Again many thanks for your analysis and expertise. I am always willing to
            make a field study in Sharpsburg, even when there really isn't anything to
            study! Just another good excuse to make that 2 hour drive down Route 70!!
            Your map 3 does intrigue me though. When viewing the ground from the ledge,
            I was always looking directly east. Perhaps a view to the southeast would
            be instructive. I will let you know of the results.

            David Lutton

> [...]
            > anchored on the turnpike fence. Could Patrick's and Gibbon's men see
            > anything east of the turnpike fence? Or am I mistaked and your
            > calculation
            > is based on what they could see of the movement of the Texas Brigade as
            > it
            > moved in a northerly direction?
            >
            > The reason I even asked the question was that I had walked most of the
            > ledge
            > area and I really could not see anything past the post and rail fence as
            > looked east. I was under the impression that some of Starke's troops
            > moving
            > on the west side of the turnpike fence accompanying the Texans on their
            > northward advance were the troops that Patrick and Gibbon's troops
            > targeted. But I cannot recall where I got that information.
            >
            > I'll have to trek that area again sometime during the Anniversary Days

          • TR Livesey
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 26 8:14 PM
              David,

              If you look directly east, you get into a different situation: corn.
              The question arises about how concealing corn will be. The corn was
              certainly taller than troops, so it is possible for it to conceal
              troops within it. If you look at a modern cornfield, it is very
              concealing, largely because the stalks are planted so densely.
              Corn planting patterns were different in 1862, not nearly as
              dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move between.
              This would imply that the corn will have different degrees of
              concealment, depending on what angle you are looking at it -
              if you are looking straight down a row, you may be able to see
              into the corn field, but if you look obliquely you would be
              able to see less. For simplicity, I usually assume corn is
              concealing.

              I have provided anther map, showing an eastern profile. I assume
              corn is 8' tall.

              http://www.enteract.com/~westwood/hl5.gif

              If corn is concealing, then you should not be able to see Confederate
              troops in it, otherwise, Confederate troops should be visible.
              One must also consider how trampled down the corn would be at
              this time.

              When you did your investigation last time, did you have someone
              standing in the Confederate area to judge if they could be seen?
              If not, then perhaps that is why it would appear that there would
              not be line of sight.

              TRL

              David Lutton wrote:

              > Todd,
              >
              > Again many thanks for your analysis and expertise. I am always willing to
              > make a field study in Sharpsburg, even when there really isn't anything to
              > study! Just another good excuse to make that 2 hour drive down Route 70!!
              > Your map 3 does intrigue me though. When viewing the ground from the ledge,
              > I was always looking directly east. Perhaps a view to the southeast would
              > be instructive. I will let you know of the results.
              >
              > David Lutton

            • David Lutton
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 27 5:08 PM
                Todd,

                Actually, I walked the ledge area south of the cornfield. I understood that
                the order to protect the left flank was given about 200 yards south of the
                cornfield. Hence the destructive fire must have hit Hood's troops in the
                area south of present day Starke Ave. The 4th Texas being the first
                regiment to change front to the pike fence. I agree as you move north along
                the ledge from Starke Ave. you can see further into the area east of the
                pike.

                Also I will take you advise and commandeer someone to walk the area of the
                advance of Hood's men while I observe from the Ledge!

                Do I need a life or what?!!!!

                David Lutton l

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • oliverg25@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 27 5:18 PM
                  --- In TalkAntietam@y..., TR Livesey <westwood@e...> wrote:
                  > David,
                  >
                  > > Corn planting patterns were different in 1862, not nearly as
                  > dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move between.
                  > This would imply that the corn will have different degrees of
                  > concealment,

                  Not So!
                  Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field. Plowing
                  and planting is usually done with a team of horses, not one. after
                  planting there is no need for a horse to go back into the field. Also
                  a horse does not damage the top soil as much as a tractor wheel

                  Amish farmers in PA still use horses and mules and their rows are
                  tighter than those of farmers using tractors. Their fields are so
                  tight you can not look down a row.

                  This might come through twice when Hotmail gets its act together.

                  O.G.
                • TR Livesey
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 27 5:49 PM
                    O.G.,

                    I am going to immediately admit that I am not an expert
                    in this field (heh-heh). My statements were based
                    on questions I have put to general historians, none of
                    whom claimed to be agricultural experts.

                    I would not, however, base any conclusions on practices
                    of modern, albeit primitive, farmers. Just because they
                    don't use tractors does not mean that they do it the
                    same way as was done 100 years ago.

                    When you look at a modern cornfield, it is so dense
                    that it provides excellent concealment.

                    Although I'm not certain how a 19th century cornfield
                    would look, but, as I stated, I assume that it also
                    provides a certain degree of concealment as well.

                    Do you have any source particular to 19th century
                    corn farming? I would very much like to hear an
                    authoritative source on the subject.

                    Thanks for your comment -

                    TRL

                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 27 5:57 PM
                      Todd;

                      If you ask Tom Shay about the videos from one of the Antietam
                      anniversary ranger tours, there is a tape he has in which Keith
                      Snyder talks about how cornfields were planted in the mid-19th
                      Century.

                      Hope this helps.

                      Your humble servant,
                      Gerry Mayers
                      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                      Edward Lee

                      > I am going to immediately admit that I am not an expert
                      > in this field (heh-heh). My statements were based
                      > on questions I have put to general historians, none of
                      > whom claimed to be agricultural experts.
                      >
                      > I would not, however, base any conclusions on practices
                      > of modern, albeit primitive, farmers. Just because they
                      > don't use tractors does not mean that they do it the
                      > same way as was done 100 years ago.
                      >
                      > When you look at a modern cornfield, it is so dense
                      > that it provides excellent concealment.
                      >
                      > Although I'm not certain how a 19th century cornfield
                      > would look, but, as I stated, I assume that it also
                      > provides a certain degree of concealment as well.
                      >
                      > Do you have any source particular to 19th century
                      > corn farming? I would very much like to hear an
                      > authoritative source on the subject.
                      >
                      > Thanks for your comment -
                      >
                      > TRL
                      > oliverg25@... wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In TalkAntietam@y..., TR Livesey <westwood@e...> wrote:
                      > > > David,

                      > > > dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move
                      between.
                      > > > This would imply that the corn will have different degrees
                      of
                      > > > concealment,
                      > >
                      > > Not So!
                      > > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field.
                      Plowing
                      > > and planting is usually done with a team of horses, not one.
                      after
                      > > planting there is no need for a horse to go back into the
                      field. Also
                      > > a horse does not damage the top soil as much as a tractor
                      wheel

                      > > Amish farmers in PA still use horses and mules and their rows
                      are
                      > > tighter than those of farmers using tractors. Their fields
                      are so
                      > > tight you can not look down a row.
                      > >
                      > > This might come through twice when Hotmail gets its act
                      together.

                      > > O.G.
                      > >

                      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Service.

                    • David Lutton
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 27 6:00 PM
                        GO
                        In your opinion then the corn would have been more tense than today? But
                        we must remember that before Hood's troops stepped off roughly a hour after
                        the battle started what would this area look like to Hood's troops?. What
                        would be the effect of 1 hour of combat be to this relatively small area?
                        Hooker's often quoted remark comes to mind.

                        If the original command to protect the flank came south of the cornfield,
                        what was happening to Hood's troops started south of the cornfield? What do
                        you think?

                        David Litton

                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 27 6:05 PM
                          David,

                          If you have read Mike Priest's book on the battle, IIRC, the area
                          of The Cornfield has already been trampled down due to the
                          attacks and counter attacks back and forth through "the corn".
                          There probably would have been some areas in which more of the
                          corn would have been standing than others. The famous painting
                          about the charge of the First Texas in The Cornfield done by
                          Troiani comes to mind. Perhaps that might give you an idea, as
                          Don Troiani is very meticulous about the details in his
                          paintings.

                          Your humble servant,
                          Gerry Mayers
                          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                          Edward Lee

                          > In your opinion then the corn would have been more tense than
                          today? But
                          > we must remember that before Hood's troops stepped off roughly
                          a hour after
                          > the battle started what would this area look like to Hood's
                          troops?. What
                          > would be the effect of 1 hour of combat be to this relatively
                          small area?
                          > Hooker's often quoted remark comes to mind.
                          >
                          > If the original command to protect the flank came south of the
                          cornfield,
                          > what was happening to Hood's troops started south of the
                          cornfield? What do
                          > you think?
                          >
                          > David Litton

                          Service.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 27 6:15 PM
                            Mark Plfum wrote earlier:
                            > The Ninth Army Corps was formed just before 2nd Bull Run and
                            saw its
                            > first action under that name in that fight. They were, I
                            believe,
                            > part of the Army Of Virginia that you mentioned earlier in the
                            quote.

                            Mark, did not the Ninth Army Corps comprise the bulk of the
                            Federal expeditionary force that attacked and captured New Burn
                            in North Carolina after landing near Cape Hatteras? I seem to
                            recall reading somewhere that this was pretty much the case, as
                            old Burnside was the commander of that amphibious expedition.

                            > I know you are simply saying Dan'l was of Kentucky fame, but it
                            may
                            > give the missinformed the impression that he was actually FROM
                            > Kentucky. We all know, of course, he was born and raised near
                            > Reading, Pennsylvania and his folks were friends of the
                            ancestors of
                            > a guy named Abraham Lincoln. ;-)

                            Your comment about Dan'l Boone is well taken. BTW, what was the
                            name of Dan'l's brother?

                            Your humble servant,
                            Gerry Mayers
                            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                            Edward Lee
                          • oliverg25@hotmail.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 27 6:16 PM
                              --- In TalkAntietam@y..., TR Livesey <westwood@e...> wrote:
                              > O.G.,
                              >
                              > I am going to immediately admit that I am not an expert
                              > in this field (heh-heh). My statements were based
                              > on questions I have put to general historians, none of
                              > whom claimed to be agricultural experts.

                              Neither am I. I live in Harrisburg. Not too many farms in this city.

                              > I would not, however, base any conclusions on practices
                              > of modern, albeit primitive, farmers. Just because they
                              > don't use tractors does not mean that they do it the
                              > same way as was done 100 years ago.

                              The tractor has evolved over the years. The last time I looked horses
                              were still the smae as the original model. I don't know any Amish
                              farmers personlly but I fail to see where they could possible be any
                              different in their farming practices than those of the 19th Century.
                              Considering they are using the same equipment.

                              > Do you have any source particular to 19th century
                              > corn farming? I would very much like to hear an
                              > authoritative source on the subject.

                              You want me to reincarnate a 19th Century farmer or go knocking on
                              doors in South-Central PA?

                              One thing you seem to have forgotten is that Hooker ordered the
                              cornfield to be raked with canister before any assult began. I don't
                              think there was much cover left by the time th texans got there

                              Ollie
                            • David Lutton
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 27 6:31 PM
                                Ollie,

                                Exactly my point. At this point of the battle the cornfield would have been
                                defestated. Hence the corn would have been a non factor.

                                David Lutton

                              • oliverg25@hotmail.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 27 6:41 PM
                                  --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "David Lutton" <dunkerch@c...> wrote:
                                  > Ollie,
                                  >
                                  > Exactly my point. At this point of the battle the cornfield would
                                  have been
                                  > defestated. Hence the corn would have been a non factor.
                                  >
                                  > David Lutton

                                  David;

                                  Precisely!

                                  I think someone else also said the cornfield had been trampled before
                                  Hood got there. So the corn, or what remained, provided very little
                                  cover.

                                  Ollie
                                • TR Livesey
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 27 6:52 PM
                                    Ollie,

                                    oliverg25@... wrote:
                                    <general snip>

                                    > One thing you seem to have forgotten is that Hooker ordered the
                                    > cornfield to be raked with canister before any assult began. I don't
                                    > think there was much cover left by the time th texans got there
                                    >
                                    > Ollie

                                    Hooker's account is unreliable. He makes it sound like he mowed down
                                    a whole regiment waiting hidden in the cornfield. In fact, when
                                    the I corps moved out, there were no significant Confederates in
                                    the corn, they were in line south of it.

                                    Furthermore, I doubt that Hooker could have possibly irradicated an
                                    entire 30 acre cornfield, no matter how much canister he used.
                                    Anyway, we are interested here in the southern end of it.

                                    TRL
                                  • Oliver Gamble

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 27 9:28 PM
                                        In the 19th Century, they used hills of corn, and check-row pattern allowed a
                                        lot of traffic in the cornfields. Think of it and a checkerboard where every
                                        corner is a hill of corn. It was usually hand planted, not with horses and
                                        machine planters. Bill Christen knows much about it than I do, ask him.

                                        oliverg25@... wrote:

                                        > --- In TalkAntietam@y..., TR Livesey <westwood@e...> wrote:
                                        > > David,
                                        > >
                                        > > > Corn planting patterns were different in 1862, not nearly as
                                        > > dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move between.
                                        > > This would imply that the corn will have different degrees of
                                        > > concealment,
                                        >
                                        > Not So!
                                        > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field. Plowing
                                        > and planting is usually done with a team of horses, not one. after
                                        > planting there is no need for a horse to go back into the field. Also
                                        > a horse does not damage the top soil as much as a tractor wheel
                                        >
                                        > Amish farmers in PA still use horses and mules and their rows are
                                        > tighter than those of farmers using tractors. Their fields are so
                                        > tight you can not look down a row.
                                        >
                                        > This might come through twice when Hotmail gets its act together.
                                        >
                                        > O.G.

                                      • Tom Clemens
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 27 9:34 PM
                                          Squire Boone.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 28, 2002
                                            Group;

                                            If you have a Preview option on your email program, I recommend
                                            you use it. It will allow you to see what attachments are
                                            attached before you open the email! If you see anything ending
                                            with .pif or .bat as an attachment or .exe, DELETE it
                                            immediately! (Many viruses come with either of the three
                                            extensions.)

                                            Also, run Trend Micro Antivirus web based scanning, Norton Anti
                                            Virus or any similar program to locate any virus infections you
                                            might have and then clean.

                                            The KLEZ-G variant worm virus has been running amuck in this
                                            group, and already caused one member to have his account delisted
                                            by the moderator.

                                            Your humble servant,
                                            Gerry Mayers
                                            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                                            Edward Lee

                                            > > > Corn planting patterns were different in 1862, not nearly
                                            as
                                            > > dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move
                                            between.
                                            > > This would imply that the corn will have different degrees of
                                            > > concealment,
                                            >
                                            > Not So!
                                            > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field.
                                            Plowing
                                            > and planting is usually done with a team of horses, not one.
                                            after
                                            > planting there is no need for a horse to go back into the
                                            field. Also
                                            > a horse does not damage the top soil as much as a tractor wheel
                                            >
                                            > Amish farmers in PA still use horses and mules and their rows
                                            are
                                            > tighter than those of farmers using tractors. Their fields are
                                            so
                                            > tight you can not look down a row.
                                            >
                                            > This might come through twice when Hotmail gets its act
                                            together.

                                            > O.G.
                                            >

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                            Service.