WMIA - was:Antietam part of History Channel series

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
      I'm not Tom, but I know a little about the WMIA. They are the park
      non-profit. They run the bookstore and the private guide service at the
      visitor center. They donate all of their profits to the park, which
      adds up to big bucks. They also administer the preservation
      fund-raising efforts such as adopt-a-cannon and the adopt-a-monument
      program on virtualantietam.com.

      The adopt-a-monument program is actually quite cool. Go to
      http://www.virtualantietam.com and search for a monument, such as the
      Maryland State monument. At the bottom of the detail page there is a
      list of names of donors that have paid to have their dedication listed
      there. They actually have some folks who have endowed monuments through
      this program. It's turning into a money-maker for the park preservation
      program.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
        Stephen;

        I know about the WMIA...are they the same as Antietam Partners?

        1788

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
          It is the fund-raising arm of the Bookstore for Antietam and Monocacy.
          They donate money, publicize events, etc.
          Tom Clemens

          >>> gerry1952@... 4/4/2006 8:45:04 AM >>>

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
            I'm sorry. Yup, same thing. Antietam Partner is the name of the
            fund-raising branch of the WMIA.

            http://www.virtualantietam.com/partner/index.html

            Stephen

            On Tuesday, April 4, 2006, at 09:13 AM, G E Mayers wrote:

            > Stephen;
            >
            > I know about the WMIA...are they the same as Antietam Partners?
          • barringer63
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
              Tom Shay wrote:
              <Snip>

              Riford said the documentary re-creates scenes that led to Alexander
              Gordon's famous photographs of dead soldiers and explores other
              significant aspects of the Civil War battle.

              A bit of "nit picking" here but shouldn't that be "Alexander
              Gardner?"

              Teej
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                Yes it should, but Riford is a tourism guy, not a historian.

                >>> teej@... 4/4/2006 9:29:55 AM >>>

                Tom Shay wrote:
                <Snip>

                Riford said the documentary re-creates scenes that led to Alexander
                Gordon's famous photographs of dead soldiers and explores other
                significant aspects of the Civil War battle.

                A bit of "nit picking" here but shouldn't that be "Alexander
                Gardner?"

                Teej

                Civil war history Civil war battles Civil war
                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                  Tom and Stephen,

                  Thanks for the explanation.

                  1788

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                    That's not nit-picking at all. That's just right.