Antietam part of History Channel series

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
      From today's Hagerstown Herald-Mail...
      A documentary on the Battle of Antietam in 1862 will be part of a 10-part series on The History Channel next week. The series, called "10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America," will run Sunday through Thursday. The 60-minute Antietam segment will kick off the series on Sunday at 9 p.m. The Hagerstown-Washington County Convention and Visitors Bureau is co-hosting an invitation-only world premiere of the documentary Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at the Antietam National Battlefield visitor center. Antietam Partners, a nonprofit association at Antietam National Battlefield, also is a co-host.
      "The series is comprised of 10 films, each created by a different award-winning documentary filmmaker or filmmaking team, spotlighting 10 historic events that triggered seismic shifts in America's political, cultural or social landscape," The History Channel's Web site says. "Using a range of storytelling techniques, including re-creations, animation, interviews, archival footage and historical artifacts, the series offers viewers a fresh perspective on well-known historical incidents while also shining a light on the tremendous impact of less- frequently cited events." other events covered in the series include the gold rush in 1848, the assassination of President McKinley in 1901, the Scopes monkey trial of 1925 and the aftermath of Elvis Presley's appearance on "The Ed Sullivan Show" in 1956.
      A companion book on the series is scheduled to be released today, according to the Amazon Web site. Michael Epstein, who has won Emmy and Peabody awards and has been nominated for an Oscar, directed the Antietam episode.
      In a phone interview Monday, Tom Riford, the Convention and Visitors Bureau's president and chief executive officer, said a film crew was in Washington County last summer. The first time was in June, for a little more than a week, to interview historians and scout film sites. The second time was for two weeks in August to film scenes. Riford said the documentary re-creates scenes that led to Alexander Gordon's famous photographs of dead soldiers and explores other significant aspects of the Civil War battle. A Convention and Visitors Bureau news release quotes Epstein as saying, "What I wanted to do was bring a new visual language to re-enactments. It was important that the pieces of the battle we re-enacted look (accurate for the) period not just in the costumes and set design, but in the photographic medium as well. In this way, our film would never lose its sense of place and time."

      POSTED BY: Tom Shay

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
        Tom;

        What is Antietam Partners? What do they do to help the ANBP?

        1788

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
          I'm not Tom, but I know a little about the WMIA. They are the park
          non-profit. They run the bookstore and the private guide service at the
          visitor center. They donate all of their profits to the park, which
          adds up to big bucks. They also administer the preservation
          fund-raising efforts such as adopt-a-cannon and the adopt-a-monument
          program on virtualantietam.com.

          The adopt-a-monument program is actually quite cool. Go to
          http://www.virtualantietam.com and search for a monument, such as the
          Maryland State monument. At the bottom of the detail page there is a
          list of names of donors that have paid to have their dedication listed
          there. They actually have some folks who have endowed monuments through
          this program. It's turning into a money-maker for the park preservation
          program.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
            Stephen;

            I know about the WMIA...are they the same as Antietam Partners?

            1788

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
              It is the fund-raising arm of the Bookstore for Antietam and Monocacy.
              They donate money, publicize events, etc.
              Tom Clemens

              >>> gerry1952@... 4/4/2006 8:45:04 AM >>>

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                I'm sorry. Yup, same thing. Antietam Partner is the name of the
                fund-raising branch of the WMIA.

                http://www.virtualantietam.com/partner/index.html

                Stephen

                On Tuesday, April 4, 2006, at 09:13 AM, G E Mayers wrote:

                > Stephen;
                >
                > I know about the WMIA...are they the same as Antietam Partners?
              • barringer63
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                  Tom Shay wrote:
                  <Snip>

                  Riford said the documentary re-creates scenes that led to Alexander
                  Gordon's famous photographs of dead soldiers and explores other
                  significant aspects of the Civil War battle.

                  A bit of "nit picking" here but shouldn't that be "Alexander
                  Gardner?"

                  Teej
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                    Yes it should, but Riford is a tourism guy, not a historian.

                    >>> teej@... 4/4/2006 9:29:55 AM >>>

                    Tom Shay wrote:
                    <Snip>

                    Riford said the documentary re-creates scenes that led to Alexander
                    Gordon's famous photographs of dead soldiers and explores other
                    significant aspects of the Civil War battle.

                    A bit of "nit picking" here but shouldn't that be "Alexander
                    Gardner?"

                    Teej

                    Civil war history Civil war battles Civil war
                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                      Tom and Stephen,

                      Thanks for the explanation.

                      1788

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                        That's not nit-picking at all. That's just right.