Colonel Eliakim P. Scammon

  • johnhoptak
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2006
      Hey All~

      Been trying to figure out Colonel Eliakim Scammon's role at the battle
      of Antietam. I know he had nominal command of the Kanawha Division
      (4th/9th Corps), but it seems as if Cox basically directed the two
      brigades of this division (Crook's and Ewing's). The fact that the two
      brigades were on opposite sides of the 9th Corps line, one at the
      bridge and later supporting Willcox's Division, and the other with
      Rodman's Division at Snavely's Ford seems to me as if Cox/Burnside
      wished these two brigades be directed by either Willcox and Rodman,
      not Scammon.
      Was hoping someone out there could help me pin down Scammon's role on
      the field of battle.

      Thanks,

      John David Hoptak