Frank Leslie's Illustrated HISTORY OF THE CIVIL WAR

  • thomasdledward
    Message 1 of 74 , Mar 20, 2006
      I own a copy of this 'illustrated historic' book that was published in
      1895. So my copy states.

      For our group, I am willing to 'scan' and 'upload' these historic
      'drawings' of Harpers Ferry, South Mountain and Antietam that the
      various "war" artist portrayed during the war, a short time earlier
      than when this book was published.

      This is a very hard to find book and basicly one of a kind as it were.
      You see so many of these books destroyed by people tearing out these
      historic drawings and 'framing' them and selling them at antique shops.
      This will never be the case with this one in my lifetime.

      The problem with any possible uploading' of scanned images is the
      "size" of the book and its drawings. The book measures 8" & 3/4" wide
      by 16" & 1/4" long. Quite a large book! My scanner/s [two] support
      normal 8" & 1/2" by 11" & 1/2" documents/images, which means one of
      two things, I scan the drawings in two seperate sections or one image
      with a portion of it cut off. I cannot afford to go and have these
      digitally mastered.
      There is one other possible option, and that is I take a photograph
      with my digital camera of the drawing and upload it that way [probably
      the best way!] as it would not create additional wear & tear on an
      already old old book.

      Would you the members like to view these images?
      If so, let me know and I'll make arrangements [time constaints
      permitting] to create an 'album' here with the above title name and
      eventually start to submit some of these.

      Best,

      David Townsend
    • Scott Hann
      Message 74 of 74 , Apr 9, 2006
        Hey buddy! It might have been in Fox's Regimental Losses in the Civil
        War. Also, to the best of my knowledge, Antietam had the highest
        number of surgeons killed in a single battle: four. At Gettysburg I
        think one was killed and thirteen wounded. I don't know how many
        surgeons were wounded at Antietam, but know one or two surgeons from
        the 14th Connecticut had a narrow escape at the Roulette Farm. Scott