National Park Service Handbook "Antietam" 1961

  • thomasdledward
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2006
      I've uploaded a photograph of an old 1961 National Park Service
      Handbook for Antietam.
      This one was printed up in 1961 when I lived there at South Mountain
      as a kid. You will see the obivious 'filling-in' of the letter "A"
      with an ink pen, typical of my youth.

      This particular handbook was published in 1960 by Frederick Tilberg
      for the National Park Service. I also have two other handbooks for
      "Manassas (Bull Run)" [printed in 1957 by Francis F. Wilshin] and
      "Chickamauga and Chattanooga Battlefields" [printed in 1956 by James
      R. Sullivan] that I've had from my youth as well that are in "this
      series" originally published by the National Park Service.

      The photograph is both the 'cover' and 'back' as I just layed the
      entire book open while scanning it.

      I can 'upload' the entire book here if anyone would like to view it.
      I just need an indication that this would be wanted by some of you.

      I have no idea as to what changes may have occurred in what they now
      publish as I left Washington D.C. in 1974 when I moved to Southern
      California. It would be interesting to see and compare any
      differences that have taken place over the years.

      Best to all,

      David Townsend