Re: Some of Antietam's forgotten Union commanders...

  • thomasdledward
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
      Hello John,

      There is some additiona information in the TIME LIFE series of books
      about some of these men.

      I have the complete set and within the "Master Index" book it list
      Robert H. Anderson in thd following books and pages.....
      AP 162, 163
      BR 124-125, 136, 143, 148
      FI 32
      TT 110; capitulation by
      BR 159-161: commands Charleston forts,
      BR 120; in Fort Sumter defense
      BR 121-128, 132-141, 147, 149-154, 155, 156-157, 163; and surrender demand
      BR 138-141, 157-159

      Dwight Morris
      BD 96

      I have not read through these particular books to see what is stated
      on these men. These books should be in a publice library, if not, let
      me know and I'll make the time to type out and send you the information.

      As well, anyone wishing, I also own the complete set of "Battles An
      Leaders Of The Civil War" Volumes I-IV for any quotations/articles by
      any of the officers writing there.

      I'd also be happy to quote from my copies of "Lanscape Turned Red" by
      Stephen Sears regarding the Battle of Antietam.

      And will upload scanned images from "Antietam The Photographic Legacy
      of America's Bloddiest Day" by William A. Frassanito. His photographs
      show "then" by Matthew Brady and "now" taken by he and his staff for
      anyone wanting to view the Battlefield comparison photographs.

      If I can be of further assistance, do let me know.

      "When I think of what these men suffered and did, I marvel with a
      wonder which is admiration...We have come here, friends, not for
      things that die, but for things that cannot die....For human History
      is not a Dead Sea, it is a flowing river..." --Joshua L. Chamberlain

      Best Regards,

      David Townsend

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "johnhoptak" <johnhoptak@...> wrote:

      > Hello All~
      > I am new here to this message forum, although I do know a number of
      > you on here. I am searching for information on some of Antietam's
      > forgotten Union leaders; those whom little is known about. I was
      > hoping someone out there can point me in the direction for
      > information on the following:
      >
      > Albert Magilton (1st Corps)
      > Robert Anderson (1st Corps)
      > Dwight Morris (2nd Corps)
      > Thomas B.W. Stockton (5th Corps)
      > Peter Allabach (5th Corps)
      > Henry Stainrook (12th Corps)
      > William Goodrich (12th Corps)
      > Andrew McReynolds (Cavalry)
      >
      > I have searched through most of the biographical dictionaries of the
      > war's personalities, yet these men are very elusive. What I am
      > specifically looking for is not so much information on what they did
      > on the battlefield, but their personal lives, etc.
      > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much for
      > your consideration...
      > John David Hoptak

    • johnhoptak
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 20, 2006
        Thanks for you help, troops. David, I do have the TimeLife Series
        and the Frassanito book. I appreciated your willingness to assist me
        in my quest.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "thomasdledward" <nmtdet@...>