Re: [TalkAntietam] Irish Brigade tour at ANB

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
      Dear Brian,

      I believe not only was Meagher's horse shot out from under him, but
      when the horse fell on him, Meagher came very close to being killed.
      The pommel, IIRC, of his saddle drove rather deep into his chest and,
      even though he was not seriously hurt, he did have something of a
      concussion....which would have made him appear to be drunk... the
      charge of his being drunk on that day persists even to the present
      among some writers.

      1788