Re: Irish Brigade tour at ANB

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
      Thanks David,

      I should have put a smiley face after my comment.

      I was (too subtly) referring to the fact that Meagher himself reported
      that his horse had been shot in his after-action report, but that the
      popular story in the press thereafter was that he'd fallen, being
      drunk. You're on point about the rumors.

      It was really the recent battlefield tour that was of interest in this
      article. Sorry to be opaque :)

      Brian

      http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?storyid=47483

      > > Anybody we know on the tour?
      > >
      > > Was General Meagher's horse was shot from under him? I'd not heard
      > > that as an explanation before.

    • thomasdledward
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
        Great article you posted.

        Thanks for sharing it!

        David

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
          Dear Brian,

          I believe not only was Meagher's horse shot out from under him, but
          when the horse fell on him, Meagher came very close to being killed.
          The pommel, IIRC, of his saddle drove rather deep into his chest and,
          even though he was not seriously hurt, he did have something of a
          concussion....which would have made him appear to be drunk... the
          charge of his being drunk on that day persists even to the present
          among some writers.

          1788