Re: Irish Brigade tour at ANB

  • thomasdledward
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
      TimeLife Book, "The Bloodiest Day The Battle of Antiettam" states on
      page 100........
      "Meagher's men passed over the crest and moved toward the Sunken Road.
      From that shelter the Confederates once again leveled a lethal
      volley. Meagher tumbled off his white horse. The animal had been
      shot, Meagher would later report, but rumors circulated that he was
      drunk and had fallen off. In any case, he was badly stunned and was
      helped to the rear."

      David T. Calif.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@...> wrote:

      > Writeup in the Fredericksburg News Post today. Online:
      > http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?storyid=47483
      >
      > Anybody we know on the tour?
      >
      > Was General Meagher's horse was shot from under him? I'd not heard
      > that as an explanation before.

    • thomasdledward
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
        Landscape Turned Red, by Stephen Sears states.........[p.269]

        "Meagher concluded his official report by noting that during the
        assult his horse was shot from under him and he was stunned in the
        fall and had to be carried from the field. Army rumor had it that in
        fact whiskey was the cause of his fall. "Meagher was not killed as
        reported, but drunk, and fell from his horse." Colonel Strother of
        the headquarters staff wrote in his journal the next day, and the
        story would be circulated in the newspapers. Whatever the facts of
        Meagher's case, reports of drunken officers, both Northerners and
        Southern, were not uncommon that day. Generals with whiskey courage
        were in evidence in every battle, a Yankee soldier wrote bitterly, and
        the officers who did not drink more or less were too scarce in the
        service...."[36]

        36: OR, XIX, Part I. p. 854
        Report of the Joint Committee. I. pp. 625-26; McClellan, Report.
        p.194 OR, XIX, Part I. p. 384

        David T. Calif.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@...> wrote:

        > Writeup in the Fredericksburg News Post today. Online:
        > http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?storyid=47483
        >
        > Anybody we know on the tour?
        >
        > Was General Meagher's horse was shot from under him? I'd not heard
        > that as an explanation before.

      • Brian Downey
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
          Thanks David,

          I should have put a smiley face after my comment.

          I was (too subtly) referring to the fact that Meagher himself reported
          that his horse had been shot in his after-action report, but that the
          popular story in the press thereafter was that he'd fallen, being
          drunk. You're on point about the rumors.

          It was really the recent battlefield tour that was of interest in this
          article. Sorry to be opaque :)

          Brian

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
            Great article you posted.

            Thanks for sharing it!

            David

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
              Dear Brian,

              I believe not only was Meagher's horse shot out from under him, but
              when the horse fell on him, Meagher came very close to being killed.
              The pommel, IIRC, of his saddle drove rather deep into his chest and,
              even though he was not seriously hurt, he did have something of a
              concussion....which would have made him appear to be drunk... the
              charge of his being drunk on that day persists even to the present
              among some writers.

              1788