Irish Brigade tour at ANB

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
      Writeup in the Fredericksburg News Post today. Online:
      http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?storyid=47483

      Anybody we know on the tour?

      Was General Meagher's horse was shot from under him? I'd not heard
      that as an explanation before.
    • thomasdledward
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
        TimeLife Book, "The Bloodiest Day The Battle of Antiettam" states on
        page 100........
        "Meagher's men passed over the crest and moved toward the Sunken Road.
        From that shelter the Confederates once again leveled a lethal
        volley. Meagher tumbled off his white horse. The animal had been
        shot, Meagher would later report, but rumors circulated that he was
        drunk and had fallen off. In any case, he was badly stunned and was
        helped to the rear."

        David T. Calif.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
          Landscape Turned Red, by Stephen Sears states.........[p.269]

          "Meagher concluded his official report by noting that during the
          assult his horse was shot from under him and he was stunned in the
          fall and had to be carried from the field. Army rumor had it that in
          fact whiskey was the cause of his fall. "Meagher was not killed as
          reported, but drunk, and fell from his horse." Colonel Strother of
          the headquarters staff wrote in his journal the next day, and the
          story would be circulated in the newspapers. Whatever the facts of
          Meagher's case, reports of drunken officers, both Northerners and
          Southern, were not uncommon that day. Generals with whiskey courage
          were in evidence in every battle, a Yankee soldier wrote bitterly, and
          the officers who did not drink more or less were too scarce in the
          service...."[36]

          36: OR, XIX, Part I. p. 854
          Report of the Joint Committee. I. pp. 625-26; McClellan, Report.
          p.194 OR, XIX, Part I. p. 384

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
            Thanks David,

            I should have put a smiley face after my comment.

            I was (too subtly) referring to the fact that Meagher himself reported
            that his horse had been shot in his after-action report, but that the
            popular story in the press thereafter was that he'd fallen, being
            drunk. You're on point about the rumors.

            It was really the recent battlefield tour that was of interest in this
            article. Sorry to be opaque :)

            Brian

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
              Great article you posted.

              Thanks for sharing it!

              David

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 19, 2006
                Dear Brian,

                I believe not only was Meagher's horse shot out from under him, but
                when the horse fell on him, Meagher came very close to being killed.
                The pommel, IIRC, of his saddle drove rather deep into his chest and,
                even though he was not seriously hurt, he did have something of a
                concussion....which would have made him appear to be drunk... the
                charge of his being drunk on that day persists even to the present
                among some writers.

                1788