Re: Some of Antietam's forgotten Union commanders...

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
      John:

      St. Lawrence University has some of Colonel William B. Goodrich's
      letters, diaries, journals, photos, etc. This link will take you to
      a short inventory list:

      http://web.stlawu.edu/library/libarc/goodrmss56/goodrichmss56/nn4/goo
      drichmss56_1.htm .

      And this link will take you to the college library which should be
      able to help you obtain copies:

      http://web.stlawu.edu/library/ .

      Good luck!

      Scott

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "johnhoptak" <johnhoptak@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks for all the help and for the leads....!
      >

      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear John;
      > >
      > > I do not know if this will be helpful, but this website might
      have
      > > pictures of all of them.....
      > >
      > > http://www.generalsandbrevets.com/
      > >
      > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
      > > G E "Gerry" Mayers
      > >
      > > "....the powers granted under the Constitution, being derived
      from
      > the
      > > people of the United States, may be resumed by them, whenever
      the
      > same
      > > shall be perverted to their injury or oppression;.."
      > > Act of State of Virginia adopting the Federal Constitution, 26
      > June
      > > 1788

      Antietam's
      > > > forgotten Union leaders; those whom little is known about. I
      was
      > > > hoping someone out there can point me in the direction for
      > > > information on the following:
      > > >
      > > > Albert Magilton (1st Corps)
      > > > Robert Anderson (1st Corps)
      > > > Dwight Morris (2nd Corps)
      > > > Thomas B.W. Stockton (5th Corps)
      > > > Peter Allabach (5th Corps)
      > > > Henry Stainrook (12th Corps)
      > > > William Goodrich (12th Corps)
      > > > Andrew McReynolds (Cavalry)
      > > >
      > > > I have searched through most of the biographical dictionaries
      of
      > the
      > > > war's personalities, yet these men are very elusive. What I am
      > > > specifically looking for is not so much information on what
      they
      > did
      > > > on the battlefield, but their personal lives, etc.
      > > > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much
      for
      > > > your consideration...
      > > > John David Hoptak

      > of
      > > > Service.

      > ---------------

    • thomasdledward
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
        Hello John,

        There is some additiona information in the TIME LIFE series of books
        about some of these men.

        I have the complete set and within the "Master Index" book it list
        Robert H. Anderson in thd following books and pages.....
        AP 162, 163
        BR 124-125, 136, 143, 148
        FI 32
        TT 110; capitulation by
        BR 159-161: commands Charleston forts,
        BR 120; in Fort Sumter defense
        BR 121-128, 132-141, 147, 149-154, 155, 156-157, 163; and surrender demand
        BR 138-141, 157-159

        Dwight Morris
        BD 96

        I have not read through these particular books to see what is stated
        on these men. These books should be in a publice library, if not, let
        me know and I'll make the time to type out and send you the information.

        As well, anyone wishing, I also own the complete set of "Battles An
        Leaders Of The Civil War" Volumes I-IV for any quotations/articles by
        any of the officers writing there.

        I'd also be happy to quote from my copies of "Lanscape Turned Red" by
        Stephen Sears regarding the Battle of Antietam.

        And will upload scanned images from "Antietam The Photographic Legacy
        of America's Bloddiest Day" by William A. Frassanito. His photographs
        show "then" by Matthew Brady and "now" taken by he and his staff for
        anyone wanting to view the Battlefield comparison photographs.

        If I can be of further assistance, do let me know.

        "When I think of what these men suffered and did, I marvel with a
        wonder which is admiration...We have come here, friends, not for
        things that die, but for things that cannot die....For human History
        is not a Dead Sea, it is a flowing river..." --Joshua L. Chamberlain

        Best Regards,

        David Townsend

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "johnhoptak" <johnhoptak@...> wrote:

        > Hello All~
        > I am new here to this message forum, although I do know a number of
        > you on here. I am searching for information on some of Antietam's
        > forgotten Union leaders; those whom little is known about. I was
        > hoping someone out there can point me in the direction for
        > information on the following:
        >
        > Albert Magilton (1st Corps)
        > Robert Anderson (1st Corps)
        > Dwight Morris (2nd Corps)
        > Thomas B.W. Stockton (5th Corps)
        > Peter Allabach (5th Corps)
        > Henry Stainrook (12th Corps)
        > William Goodrich (12th Corps)
        > Andrew McReynolds (Cavalry)
        >
        > I have searched through most of the biographical dictionaries of the
        > war's personalities, yet these men are very elusive. What I am
        > specifically looking for is not so much information on what they did
        > on the battlefield, but their personal lives, etc.
        > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much for
        > your consideration...
        > John David Hoptak

      • thomasdledward
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
          Hello John,

          There is some additiona information in the TIME LIFE series of books
          about some of these men.

          I have the complete set and within the "Master Index" book it list
          Robert H. Anderson in the following books and pages.....
          AP 162, 163
          BR 124-125, 136, 143, 148
          FI 32
          TT 110; capitulation by
          BR 159-161: commands Charleston forts,
          BR 120; in Fort Sumter defense
          BR 121-128, 132-141, 147, 149-154, 155, 156-157, 163; and surrender demand
          BR 138-141, 157-159

          Dwight Morris
          BD 96

          I have not read through these particular books to see what is stated
          on these men. These books should be in a publice library, if not, let
          me know and I'll make the time to type out and send you the information.

          As well, anyone wishing, I also own the complete set of "Battles And
          Leaders Of The Civil War" Volumes I-IV for any quotations/articles by
          any of the officers writing there.

          I'd also be happy to quote from my copies of "Lanscape Turned Red" by
          Stephen Sears regarding the Battle of Antietam.

          And will upload scanned images from "Antietam The Photographic Legacy
          of America's Bloddiest Day" by William A. Frassanito. His photographs
          show "then" by Matthew Brady and "now" taken by he and his staff for
          anyone wanting to view the Battlefield comparison photographs.

          If I can be of further assistance, do let me know.

          "When I think of what these men suffered and did, I marvel with a
          wonder which is admiration...We have come here, friends, not for
          things that die, but for things that cannot die....For human History
          is not a Dead Sea, it is a flowing river..." --Joshua L. Chamberlain

          Best Regards,

          David Townsend

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "johnhoptak" <johnhoptak@...> wrote:

          > Hello All~
          > I am new here to this message forum, although I do know a number of
          > you on here. I am searching for information on some of Antietam's
          > forgotten Union leaders; those whom little is known about. I was
          > hoping someone out there can point me in the direction for
          > information on the following:
          >
          > Albert Magilton (1st Corps)
          > Robert Anderson (1st Corps)
          > Dwight Morris (2nd Corps)
          > Thomas B.W. Stockton (5th Corps)
          > Peter Allabach (5th Corps)
          > Henry Stainrook (12th Corps)
          > William Goodrich (12th Corps)
          > Andrew McReynolds (Cavalry)
          >
          > I have searched through most of the biographical dictionaries of the
          > war's personalities, yet these men are very elusive. What I am
          > specifically looking for is not so much information on what they did
          > on the battlefield, but their personal lives, etc.
          > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much for
          > your consideration...
          > John David Hoptak

        • johnhoptak
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 20, 2006
            Thanks for you help, troops. David, I do have the TimeLife Series
            and the Frassanito book. I appreciated your willingness to assist me
            in my quest.

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "thomasdledward" <nmtdet@...>