Re: Some of Antietam's forgotten Union commanders...

  • johnhoptak
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 18, 2006
      Thanks for all the help and for the leads....!

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear John;
      >
      > I do not know if this will be helpful, but this website might have
      > pictures of all of them.....
      >
      > http://www.generalsandbrevets.com/

      > "....the powers granted under the Constitution, being derived from
      the
      > people of the United States, may be resumed by them, whenever the
      same
      > shall be perverted to their injury or oppression;.."
      > Act of State of Virginia adopting the Federal Constitution, 26
      June
      > 1788

    • Scott Hann
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
        John:

        St. Lawrence University has some of Colonel William B. Goodrich's
        letters, diaries, journals, photos, etc. This link will take you to
        a short inventory list:

        http://web.stlawu.edu/library/libarc/goodrmss56/goodrichmss56/nn4/goo
        drichmss56_1.htm .

        And this link will take you to the college library which should be
        able to help you obtain copies:

        http://web.stlawu.edu/library/ .

        Good luck!

        Scott

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "johnhoptak" <johnhoptak@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for all the help and for the leads....!
        >

        > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear John;
        > >
        > > I do not know if this will be helpful, but this website might
        have
        > > pictures of all of them.....
        > >
        > > http://www.generalsandbrevets.com/
        > >
        > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
        > > G E "Gerry" Mayers
        > >
        > > "....the powers granted under the Constitution, being derived
        from
        > the
        > > people of the United States, may be resumed by them, whenever
        the
        > same
        > > shall be perverted to their injury or oppression;.."
        > > Act of State of Virginia adopting the Federal Constitution, 26
        > June
        > > 1788

      • thomasdledward
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
          Hello John,

          There is some additiona information in the TIME LIFE series of books
          about some of these men.

          I have the complete set and within the "Master Index" book it list
          Robert H. Anderson in thd following books and pages.....
          AP 162, 163
          BR 124-125, 136, 143, 148
          FI 32
          TT 110; capitulation by
          BR 159-161: commands Charleston forts,
          BR 120; in Fort Sumter defense
          BR 121-128, 132-141, 147, 149-154, 155, 156-157, 163; and surrender demand
          BR 138-141, 157-159

          Dwight Morris
          BD 96

          I have not read through these particular books to see what is stated
          on these men. These books should be in a publice library, if not, let
          me know and I'll make the time to type out and send you the information.

          As well, anyone wishing, I also own the complete set of "Battles An
          Leaders Of The Civil War" Volumes I-IV for any quotations/articles by
          any of the officers writing there.

          I'd also be happy to quote from my copies of "Lanscape Turned Red" by
          Stephen Sears regarding the Battle of Antietam.

          And will upload scanned images from "Antietam The Photographic Legacy
          of America's Bloddiest Day" by William A. Frassanito. His photographs
          show "then" by Matthew Brady and "now" taken by he and his staff for
          anyone wanting to view the Battlefield comparison photographs.

          If I can be of further assistance, do let me know.

          "When I think of what these men suffered and did, I marvel with a
          wonder which is admiration...We have come here, friends, not for
          things that die, but for things that cannot die....For human History
          is not a Dead Sea, it is a flowing river..." --Joshua L. Chamberlain

          Best Regards,

          David Townsend

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "johnhoptak" <johnhoptak@...> wrote:

          > Hello All~
          > I am new here to this message forum, although I do know a number of
          > you on here. I am searching for information on some of Antietam's
          > forgotten Union leaders; those whom little is known about. I was
          > hoping someone out there can point me in the direction for
          > information on the following:
          >
          > Albert Magilton (1st Corps)
          > Robert Anderson (1st Corps)
          > Dwight Morris (2nd Corps)
          > Thomas B.W. Stockton (5th Corps)
          > Peter Allabach (5th Corps)
          > Henry Stainrook (12th Corps)
          > William Goodrich (12th Corps)
          > Andrew McReynolds (Cavalry)
          >
          > I have searched through most of the biographical dictionaries of the
          > war's personalities, yet these men are very elusive. What I am
          > specifically looking for is not so much information on what they did
          > on the battlefield, but their personal lives, etc.
          > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much for
          > your consideration...
          > John David Hoptak

        • thomasdledward
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
            Hello John,

            There is some additiona information in the TIME LIFE series of books
            about some of these men.

            I have the complete set and within the "Master Index" book it list
            Robert H. Anderson in the following books and pages.....
            AP 162, 163
            BR 124-125, 136, 143, 148
            FI 32
            TT 110; capitulation by
            BR 159-161: commands Charleston forts,
            BR 120; in Fort Sumter defense
            BR 121-128, 132-141, 147, 149-154, 155, 156-157, 163; and surrender demand
            BR 138-141, 157-159

            Dwight Morris
            BD 96

            I have not read through these particular books to see what is stated
            on these men. These books should be in a publice library, if not, let
            me know and I'll make the time to type out and send you the information.

            As well, anyone wishing, I also own the complete set of "Battles And
            Leaders Of The Civil War" Volumes I-IV for any quotations/articles by
            any of the officers writing there.

            I'd also be happy to quote from my copies of "Lanscape Turned Red" by
            Stephen Sears regarding the Battle of Antietam.

            And will upload scanned images from "Antietam The Photographic Legacy
            of America's Bloddiest Day" by William A. Frassanito. His photographs
            show "then" by Matthew Brady and "now" taken by he and his staff for
            anyone wanting to view the Battlefield comparison photographs.

            If I can be of further assistance, do let me know.

            "When I think of what these men suffered and did, I marvel with a
            wonder which is admiration...We have come here, friends, not for
            things that die, but for things that cannot die....For human History
            is not a Dead Sea, it is a flowing river..." --Joshua L. Chamberlain

            Best Regards,

            David Townsend

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "johnhoptak" <johnhoptak@...> wrote:

            > Hello All~
            > I am new here to this message forum, although I do know a number of
            > you on here. I am searching for information on some of Antietam's
            > forgotten Union leaders; those whom little is known about. I was
            > hoping someone out there can point me in the direction for
            > information on the following:
            >
            > Albert Magilton (1st Corps)
            > Robert Anderson (1st Corps)
            > Dwight Morris (2nd Corps)
            > Thomas B.W. Stockton (5th Corps)
            > Peter Allabach (5th Corps)
            > Henry Stainrook (12th Corps)
            > William Goodrich (12th Corps)
            > Andrew McReynolds (Cavalry)
            >
            > I have searched through most of the biographical dictionaries of the
            > war's personalities, yet these men are very elusive. What I am
            > specifically looking for is not so much information on what they did
            > on the battlefield, but their personal lives, etc.
            > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much for
            > your consideration...
            > John David Hoptak

          • johnhoptak
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 20, 2006
              Thanks for you help, troops. David, I do have the TimeLife Series
              and the Frassanito book. I appreciated your willingness to assist me
              in my quest.

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "thomasdledward" <nmtdet@...>