Re: Some of Antietam's forgotten Union commanders...

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 18, 2006
      Hi John,

      It's good to have you here!

      We have at least a little about each of these men on AotW. You might
      start with the Participants search page (
      http://aotw.org/officers.php?officer_id=all ) or the Order of Battle
      listing ( http://aotw.org/oob.php ) and drill down.

      For further research online, I recommend Google ( www.google.com ).
      If you're not used to finding people that way, let me know and I can
      offer some tactics that work well for me.

      Once you have a little more to go on, you can then start pulling
      threads for 19th century bio references and publications, military
      unit histories, colleges/univ archives, hometown historical societies,
      Federal and State records, family genealogies, etc - these are all
      well represented online.

      Then there are paper records. I like to begin at a nearby library
      with a good collection of Civil War era refences and sometimes use
      inter-library loans to get more obscure material.

      These men will also have service records at the US Archives (
      http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/pre-ww-1-records.html
      ) which often include personal data for more clues to research.

      There's lots more ...

      Regards,
      Brian

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 18, 2006
        Dear John;

        I do not know if this will be helpful, but this website might have
        pictures of all of them.....

        http://www.generalsandbrevets.com/

        1788

        > I am new here to this message forum, although I do know a number of
        > you on here. I am searching for information on some of Antietam's
        > forgotten Union leaders; those whom little is known about. I was
        > hoping someone out there can point me in the direction for
        > information on the following:
        >
        > Albert Magilton (1st Corps)
        > Robert Anderson (1st Corps)
        > Dwight Morris (2nd Corps)
        > Thomas B.W. Stockton (5th Corps)
        > Peter Allabach (5th Corps)
        > Henry Stainrook (12th Corps)
        > William Goodrich (12th Corps)
        > Andrew McReynolds (Cavalry)
        >
        > I have searched through most of the biographical dictionaries of the
        > war's personalities, yet these men are very elusive. What I am
        > specifically looking for is not so much information on what they did
        > on the battlefield, but their personal lives, etc.
        > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much for
        > your consideration...
        > John David Hoptak

        > Service.

      • johnhoptak
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 18, 2006
          Thanks for all the help and for the leads....!

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@...>
          wrote:

          > Dear John;
          >
          > I do not know if this will be helpful, but this website might have
          > pictures of all of them.....
          >
          > http://www.generalsandbrevets.com/

          > "....the powers granted under the Constitution, being derived from
          the
          > people of the United States, may be resumed by them, whenever the
          same
          > shall be perverted to their injury or oppression;.."
          > Act of State of Virginia adopting the Federal Constitution, 26
          June
          > 1788

        • Scott Hann
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
            John:

            St. Lawrence University has some of Colonel William B. Goodrich's
            letters, diaries, journals, photos, etc. This link will take you to
            a short inventory list:

            http://web.stlawu.edu/library/libarc/goodrmss56/goodrichmss56/nn4/goo
            drichmss56_1.htm .

            And this link will take you to the college library which should be
            able to help you obtain copies:

            http://web.stlawu.edu/library/ .

            Good luck!

            Scott

            wrote:

            > Thanks for all the help and for the leads....!
            >

            > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear John;
            > >
            > > I do not know if this will be helpful, but this website might
            have
            > > pictures of all of them.....
            > >
            > > http://www.generalsandbrevets.com/
            > >
            > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
            > > G E "Gerry" Mayers
            > >
            > > "....the powers granted under the Constitution, being derived
            from
            > the
            > > people of the United States, may be resumed by them, whenever
            the
            > same
            > > shall be perverted to their injury or oppression;.."
            > > Act of State of Virginia adopting the Federal Constitution, 26
            > June
            > > 1788

          • thomasdledward
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
              Hello John,

              There is some additiona information in the TIME LIFE series of books
              about some of these men.

              I have the complete set and within the "Master Index" book it list
              Robert H. Anderson in thd following books and pages.....
              AP 162, 163
              BR 124-125, 136, 143, 148
              FI 32
              TT 110; capitulation by
              BR 159-161: commands Charleston forts,
              BR 120; in Fort Sumter defense
              BR 121-128, 132-141, 147, 149-154, 155, 156-157, 163; and surrender demand
              BR 138-141, 157-159

              Dwight Morris
              BD 96

              I have not read through these particular books to see what is stated
              on these men. These books should be in a publice library, if not, let
              me know and I'll make the time to type out and send you the information.

              As well, anyone wishing, I also own the complete set of "Battles An
              Leaders Of The Civil War" Volumes I-IV for any quotations/articles by
              any of the officers writing there.

              I'd also be happy to quote from my copies of "Lanscape Turned Red" by
              Stephen Sears regarding the Battle of Antietam.

              And will upload scanned images from "Antietam The Photographic Legacy
              of America's Bloddiest Day" by William A. Frassanito. His photographs
              show "then" by Matthew Brady and "now" taken by he and his staff for
              anyone wanting to view the Battlefield comparison photographs.

              If I can be of further assistance, do let me know.

              "When I think of what these men suffered and did, I marvel with a
              wonder which is admiration...We have come here, friends, not for
              things that die, but for things that cannot die....For human History
              is not a Dead Sea, it is a flowing river..." --Joshua L. Chamberlain

              Best Regards,

              David Townsend

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "johnhoptak" <johnhoptak@...> wrote:

              > Hello All~
              > I am new here to this message forum, although I do know a number of
              > you on here. I am searching for information on some of Antietam's
              > forgotten Union leaders; those whom little is known about. I was
              > hoping someone out there can point me in the direction for
              > information on the following:
              >
              > Albert Magilton (1st Corps)
              > Robert Anderson (1st Corps)
              > Dwight Morris (2nd Corps)
              > Thomas B.W. Stockton (5th Corps)
              > Peter Allabach (5th Corps)
              > Henry Stainrook (12th Corps)
              > William Goodrich (12th Corps)
              > Andrew McReynolds (Cavalry)
              >
              > I have searched through most of the biographical dictionaries of the
              > war's personalities, yet these men are very elusive. What I am
              > specifically looking for is not so much information on what they did
              > on the battlefield, but their personal lives, etc.
              > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much for
              > your consideration...
              > John David Hoptak

            • thomasdledward
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
                Hello John,

                There is some additiona information in the TIME LIFE series of books
                about some of these men.

                I have the complete set and within the "Master Index" book it list
                Robert H. Anderson in the following books and pages.....
                AP 162, 163
                BR 124-125, 136, 143, 148
                FI 32
                TT 110; capitulation by
                BR 159-161: commands Charleston forts,
                BR 120; in Fort Sumter defense
                BR 121-128, 132-141, 147, 149-154, 155, 156-157, 163; and surrender demand
                BR 138-141, 157-159

                Dwight Morris
                BD 96

                I have not read through these particular books to see what is stated
                on these men. These books should be in a publice library, if not, let
                me know and I'll make the time to type out and send you the information.

                As well, anyone wishing, I also own the complete set of "Battles And
                Leaders Of The Civil War" Volumes I-IV for any quotations/articles by
                any of the officers writing there.

                I'd also be happy to quote from my copies of "Lanscape Turned Red" by
                Stephen Sears regarding the Battle of Antietam.

                And will upload scanned images from "Antietam The Photographic Legacy
                of America's Bloddiest Day" by William A. Frassanito. His photographs
                show "then" by Matthew Brady and "now" taken by he and his staff for
                anyone wanting to view the Battlefield comparison photographs.

                If I can be of further assistance, do let me know.

                "When I think of what these men suffered and did, I marvel with a
                wonder which is admiration...We have come here, friends, not for
                things that die, but for things that cannot die....For human History
                is not a Dead Sea, it is a flowing river..." --Joshua L. Chamberlain

                Best Regards,

                David Townsend

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "johnhoptak" <johnhoptak@...> wrote:

                > Hello All~
                > I am new here to this message forum, although I do know a number of
                > you on here. I am searching for information on some of Antietam's
                > forgotten Union leaders; those whom little is known about. I was
                > hoping someone out there can point me in the direction for
                > information on the following:
                >
                > Albert Magilton (1st Corps)
                > Robert Anderson (1st Corps)
                > Dwight Morris (2nd Corps)
                > Thomas B.W. Stockton (5th Corps)
                > Peter Allabach (5th Corps)
                > Henry Stainrook (12th Corps)
                > William Goodrich (12th Corps)
                > Andrew McReynolds (Cavalry)
                >
                > I have searched through most of the biographical dictionaries of the
                > war's personalities, yet these men are very elusive. What I am
                > specifically looking for is not so much information on what they did
                > on the battlefield, but their personal lives, etc.
                > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much for
                > your consideration...
                > John David Hoptak

              • johnhoptak
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 20, 2006
                  Thanks for you help, troops. David, I do have the TimeLife Series
                  and the Frassanito book. I appreciated your willingness to assist me
                  in my quest.

                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "thomasdledward" <nmtdet@...>