Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Burning of Mumma farm

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
      It was a tragedy that just kept on taking. If memory serves me, after the
      fight he applied to the Union army for restitution. They said, "We didn't
      burn it -- the Rebels did. Ask them." Later they relented and said they'd
      give him (I think it was) $100.00 if he would swear an oath of loyalty to
      the Union. He refused. Dunkers could swear oaths only to God.

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
        Richard,

        I did not know that about the Dunkards and Sam Mumma. Interesting that
        many called the Dunkard Church "St. Mumma's Church"!

        I do know that any who lost property, crops, etc. to Rebel hands had a
        very hard time being recompensed.

        1788

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
          Actually the church sat on Sam's land I believe. He may have even built it
          himself. You might want to check me out on that....

          R.

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
            From Antietam NPS website:

            Mr. Samuel Mumma, owner of the nearby farm that bears his name, donated land in 1851 for the Dunkers to build their church. He also allowed members of the congregation to be buried in the Mumma family cemetery located a few hundred yards to the east of the church.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
              Yes, Samuel Mumma donated the land for the church. Not sure who built
              it, but likely the congrgation all pitched in.

              >>> richard@... 3/6/2006 10:38:00 AM >>>