Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Burning of Mumma farm

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
      Dear Phil and Stephen,

      While Priest is good, I would watch carefully his citations.

      IIRC, there is an account of said burning also in TimeLife Voices of
      the Civil War: Antietam volume. It was a Sgt in Ripley's Brigade,
      under D H Hill, that was in charge of the party which burned the farm.

      1788

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
        It was a tragedy that just kept on taking. If memory serves me, after the
        fight he applied to the Union army for restitution. They said, "We didn't
        burn it -- the Rebels did. Ask them." Later they relented and said they'd
        give him (I think it was) $100.00 if he would swear an oath of loyalty to
        the Union. He refused. Dunkers could swear oaths only to God.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
          Richard,

          I did not know that about the Dunkards and Sam Mumma. Interesting that
          many called the Dunkard Church "St. Mumma's Church"!

          I do know that any who lost property, crops, etc. to Rebel hands had a
          very hard time being recompensed.

          1788

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
            Actually the church sat on Sam's land I believe. He may have even built it
            himself. You might want to check me out on that....

            R.

          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
              From Antietam NPS website:

              Mr. Samuel Mumma, owner of the nearby farm that bears his name, donated land in 1851 for the Dunkers to build their church. He also allowed members of the congregation to be buried in the Mumma family cemetery located a few hundred yards to the east of the church.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                Yes, Samuel Mumma donated the land for the church. Not sure who built
                it, but likely the congrgation all pitched in.

                >>> richard@... 3/6/2006 10:38:00 AM >>>