Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Burning of Mumma farm

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
      That's just what I was looking for. Thanks!

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
        Dear Phil and Stephen,

        While Priest is good, I would watch carefully his citations.

        IIRC, there is an account of said burning also in TimeLife Voices of
        the Civil War: Antietam volume. It was a Sgt in Ripley's Brigade,
        under D H Hill, that was in charge of the party which burned the farm.

        1788

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
          It was a tragedy that just kept on taking. If memory serves me, after the
          fight he applied to the Union army for restitution. They said, "We didn't
          burn it -- the Rebels did. Ask them." Later they relented and said they'd
          give him (I think it was) $100.00 if he would swear an oath of loyalty to
          the Union. He refused. Dunkers could swear oaths only to God.

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
            Richard,

            I did not know that about the Dunkards and Sam Mumma. Interesting that
            many called the Dunkard Church "St. Mumma's Church"!

            I do know that any who lost property, crops, etc. to Rebel hands had a
            very hard time being recompensed.

            1788

          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
              Actually the church sat on Sam's land I believe. He may have even built it
              himself. You might want to check me out on that....

              R.

            • rotbaron@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                From Antietam NPS website:

                Mr. Samuel Mumma, owner of the nearby farm that bears his name, donated land in 1851 for the Dunkers to build their church. He also allowed members of the congregation to be buried in the Mumma family cemetery located a few hundred yards to the east of the church.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                  Yes, Samuel Mumma donated the land for the church. Not sure who built
                  it, but likely the congrgation all pitched in.

                  >>> richard@... 3/6/2006 10:38:00 AM >>>