Re: Burning of Mumma farm

  • philipkesaris
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
      Steve - Schildt's "Drums Along the Antietam" (pp.183-87) has a nice
      account, telling the wonderful story of the 1906 correspondence between
      James Clark of the 3rd North Carolina and Samuel Mumma, Jr. Clark felt
      badly about what happened. Also, Mike Priest's "Antietam, The Soldiers'
      Battle" has more details of the burning at p. 46. - Phil

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
        That's just what I was looking for. Thanks!

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
          Dear Phil and Stephen,

          While Priest is good, I would watch carefully his citations.

          IIRC, there is an account of said burning also in TimeLife Voices of
          the Civil War: Antietam volume. It was a Sgt in Ripley's Brigade,
          under D H Hill, that was in charge of the party which burned the farm.

          1788

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
            It was a tragedy that just kept on taking. If memory serves me, after the
            fight he applied to the Union army for restitution. They said, "We didn't
            burn it -- the Rebels did. Ask them." Later they relented and said they'd
            give him (I think it was) $100.00 if he would swear an oath of loyalty to
            the Union. He refused. Dunkers could swear oaths only to God.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
              Richard,

              I did not know that about the Dunkards and Sam Mumma. Interesting that
              many called the Dunkard Church "St. Mumma's Church"!

              I do know that any who lost property, crops, etc. to Rebel hands had a
              very hard time being recompensed.

              1788

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                Actually the church sat on Sam's land I believe. He may have even built it
                himself. You might want to check me out on that....

                R.

              • rotbaron@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                  From Antietam NPS website:

                  Mr. Samuel Mumma, owner of the nearby farm that bears his name, donated land in 1851 for the Dunkers to build their church. He also allowed members of the congregation to be buried in the Mumma family cemetery located a few hundred yards to the east of the church.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                    Yes, Samuel Mumma donated the land for the church. Not sure who built
                    it, but likely the congrgation all pitched in.

                    >>> richard@... 3/6/2006 10:38:00 AM >>>