Re: Volunteers needed to clean Antietam battlefield

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
      If I can get the day off from work I'd gladly volunteer.

      Scott

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@... wrote:

      > From today's Hagerstown Herald-Mail...
      >
      > Volunteers needed for day of cleaning, restoring battlefield
      >
      > SHARPSBURG - Antietam National Battlefield will be among 80
      historic sites in 24 states to benefit from a volunteer effort
      Saturday, April 1, from 9 a.m. until noon. The Civil War
      Preservation Trust is recruiting volunteers to help clean and
      restore historic battlefields, cemeteries and shrines.

      > The one-day effort is being called Park Day. Volunteers are
      needed to clean up trails and stream banks, remove cedar seedlings
      and assist with other restoration projects. Battlefield staff will
      provide any needed equipment.

      > Volunteers are asked to dress for the weather, bring a water
      bottle and gloves, and wear sturdy shoes or boots. Volunteers will
      meet at the battlefield Visitor Center. In the event of bad
      weather, the effort will be Saturday, April 8.

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
        Where are the best accounts of the burning of the Mumma Farm and
        related incidents? Thanks.

        Stephen
      • philipkesaris
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
          Steve - Schildt's "Drums Along the Antietam" (pp.183-87) has a nice
          account, telling the wonderful story of the 1906 correspondence between
          James Clark of the 3rd North Carolina and Samuel Mumma, Jr. Clark felt
          badly about what happened. Also, Mike Priest's "Antietam, The Soldiers'
          Battle" has more details of the burning at p. 46. - Phil

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
            That's just what I was looking for. Thanks!

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
              Dear Phil and Stephen,

              While Priest is good, I would watch carefully his citations.

              IIRC, there is an account of said burning also in TimeLife Voices of
              the Civil War: Antietam volume. It was a Sgt in Ripley's Brigade,
              under D H Hill, that was in charge of the party which burned the farm.

              1788

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
                It was a tragedy that just kept on taking. If memory serves me, after the
                fight he applied to the Union army for restitution. They said, "We didn't
                burn it -- the Rebels did. Ask them." Later they relented and said they'd
                give him (I think it was) $100.00 if he would swear an oath of loyalty to
                the Union. He refused. Dunkers could swear oaths only to God.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
                  Richard,

                  I did not know that about the Dunkards and Sam Mumma. Interesting that
                  many called the Dunkard Church "St. Mumma's Church"!

                  I do know that any who lost property, crops, etc. to Rebel hands had a
                  very hard time being recompensed.

                  1788

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                    Actually the church sat on Sam's land I believe. He may have even built it
                    himself. You might want to check me out on that....

                    R.

                  • rotbaron@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                      From Antietam NPS website:

                      Mr. Samuel Mumma, owner of the nearby farm that bears his name, donated land in 1851 for the Dunkers to build their church. He also allowed members of the congregation to be buried in the Mumma family cemetery located a few hundred yards to the east of the church.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                        Yes, Samuel Mumma donated the land for the church. Not sure who built
                        it, but likely the congrgation all pitched in.

                        >>> richard@... 3/6/2006 10:38:00 AM >>>