Volunteers needed to clean Antietam battlefield

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3 5:01 AM
      From today's Hagerstown Herald-Mail...

      Volunteers needed for day of cleaning, restoring battlefield

      SHARPSBURG - Antietam National Battlefield will be among 80 historic sites in 24 states to benefit from a volunteer effort Saturday, April 1, from 9 a.m. until noon. The Civil War Preservation Trust is recruiting volunteers to help clean and restore historic battlefields, cemeteries and shrines.

      The one-day effort is being called Park Day. Volunteers are needed to clean up trails and stream banks, remove cedar seedlings and assist with other restoration projects. Battlefield staff will provide any needed equipment.

      Volunteers are asked to dress for the weather, bring a water bottle and gloves, and wear sturdy shoes or boots. Volunteers will meet at the battlefield Visitor Center. In the event of bad weather, the effort will be Saturday, April 8.

      For information, contact Debbie Cohen at 301-432-2243, ext. 13, or via e-mail at Debbie_Cohen@....

      POSTED BY: Tom Shay

    • Scott Hann
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3 7:39 AM
        If I can get the day off from work I'd gladly volunteer.

        Scott

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@... wrote:

        > From today's Hagerstown Herald-Mail...
        >
        > Volunteers needed for day of cleaning, restoring battlefield
        >
        > SHARPSBURG - Antietam National Battlefield will be among 80
        historic sites in 24 states to benefit from a volunteer effort
        Saturday, April 1, from 9 a.m. until noon. The Civil War
        Preservation Trust is recruiting volunteers to help clean and
        restore historic battlefields, cemeteries and shrines.

        > The one-day effort is being called Park Day. Volunteers are
        needed to clean up trails and stream banks, remove cedar seedlings
        and assist with other restoration projects. Battlefield staff will
        provide any needed equipment.

        > Volunteers are asked to dress for the weather, bring a water
        bottle and gloves, and wear sturdy shoes or boots. Volunteers will
        meet at the battlefield Visitor Center. In the event of bad
        weather, the effort will be Saturday, April 8.

        > For information, contact Debbie Cohen at 301-432-2243, ext. 13, or
        via e-mail at Debbie_Cohen@...

        > POSTED BY: Tom Shay

      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3 7:40 AM

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4 11:36 AM
            Where are the best accounts of the burning of the Mumma Farm and
            related incidents? Thanks.

            Stephen
          • philipkesaris
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5 10:36 AM
              Steve - Schildt's "Drums Along the Antietam" (pp.183-87) has a nice
              account, telling the wonderful story of the 1906 correspondence between
              James Clark of the 3rd North Carolina and Samuel Mumma, Jr. Clark felt
              badly about what happened. Also, Mike Priest's "Antietam, The Soldiers'
              Battle" has more details of the burning at p. 46. - Phil

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5 11:01 AM
                That's just what I was looking for. Thanks!

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5 12:30 PM
                  Dear Phil and Stephen,

                  While Priest is good, I would watch carefully his citations.

                  IIRC, there is an account of said burning also in TimeLife Voices of
                  the Civil War: Antietam volume. It was a Sgt in Ripley's Brigade,
                  under D H Hill, that was in charge of the party which burned the farm.

                  1788

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5 2:37 PM
                    It was a tragedy that just kept on taking. If memory serves me, after the
                    fight he applied to the Union army for restitution. They said, "We didn't
                    burn it -- the Rebels did. Ask them." Later they relented and said they'd
                    give him (I think it was) $100.00 if he would swear an oath of loyalty to
                    the Union. He refused. Dunkers could swear oaths only to God.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 5 3:04 PM
                      Richard,

                      I did not know that about the Dunkards and Sam Mumma. Interesting that
                      many called the Dunkard Church "St. Mumma's Church"!

                      I do know that any who lost property, crops, etc. to Rebel hands had a
                      very hard time being recompensed.

                      1788

                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 6 7:38 AM
                        Actually the church sat on Sam's land I believe. He may have even built it
                        himself. You might want to check me out on that....

                        R.

                      • rotbaron@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 6 7:50 AM
                          From Antietam NPS website:

                          Mr. Samuel Mumma, owner of the nearby farm that bears his name, donated land in 1851 for the Dunkers to build their church. He also allowed members of the congregation to be buried in the Mumma family cemetery located a few hundred yards to the east of the church.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 6 7:55 AM
                            Yes, Samuel Mumma donated the land for the church. Not sure who built
                            it, but likely the congrgation all pitched in.

                            >>> richard@... 3/6/2006 10:38:00 AM >>>