Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Coddington of Antietam

    Message 1 of 117 , Mar 2, 2006
      No Gerry, strother was no help in that direction, and his account is
      pretty well known. Strother does verify a Carman sotry about
      McClellan's headquarters being located in the German Reformed Church in
      Keedysville from Sept. 15 to the afternoon of the 16. This is the
      church that is pictured in B&L, and although remodeled i nthe 1890's,
      still stands today. (I went to Ash Wednesday service there last night)
      One of their antebellum pastors was Rev. Robert Douglas, father of henry
      Kyd Douglas.
      Actually Ethan and I discussed Strother's assertion that McClellan
      moved his headquarters from the Pry house on the afternoon of the 17th.
      Hhe concluded, and I agree, that MCClellan and his staff left the house,
      but hte army HQ was still there until later that night.

      >>> gerry1952@... 3/1/2006 9:29:19 PM >>>

      Thanks Phil.

      What does "Porte Crayon" actually say in the article? That might be
      good for Tom to see, especially if it backs up Carman's quote re Lee
      and then Mac.

      Message 117 of 117 , Mar 2, 2006

        Thanks!

        1788