Re: Question about Irish Brigade Assault

  • Anthony W. Turner
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8 6:00 AM
      Gerry wrote:

      << The Sunken Road makes a major bend and descent downhill in about the
      middle of the 6th Alabama position. My question is: Could this possibly
      be the location where the Irish Brigade would have assaulted, as the
      road would make any attacker to have to oblique his left and right wings
      accordingly. >>

      Gerry, having walked over the area twice in the last two years trying to
      pin down where "my" 132nd Pennsylvania attacked the Sunken Road, my
      vision of French's division's positions, preceeding Richardson's, goes
      as follows...

      Weber's brigade of French's division approached the Sunken Road from
      Roulette's farm at the vicinity of the bend you mention with the road
      from Roulette's farm on their left or to their East. Morris's brigade
      followed to Weber's left rear, and Kimball's brigade followed at
      Morris's left rear.

      Weber then received "a terrible fire" from his right and the entire
      division, according to French, was also threatened by a column of
      Confederates attempting "to turn my left and rear."

      "Without waiting for the new regiments to recover," French reported, "I
      left them in reserve and ordered Kimball [l-to-r: 7WV, 132PA, 8OH, 14IN]
      to charge to the front." Kimball's [French's only brigade with veteran
      regiments -- three out of four] approached the Sunken Road straddling
      Roulette's. The 14IN was to its West; the 8OH straddled it, and the
      132PA and 7WV were to its East.

      "General Kimball," French continues, "brought his veterans into action
      and fought the enemy on the front and either flank [unitl] the arrival
      of re-inforcements, which reached the field three hours after my
      division had sustained the conflict." He refers here, almost certainly,
      to the arrival of the Irish Brigade of Richardson's division.

      Writes Kimball of this moment: "At this time a brigade of General
      Richardson's division advanced to my relief on the left of my line,
      securing that flank from further assaults."

      And Frederick Hitchcock, adjutant of the 132PA, wrote in his memoirs:
      "[T]he Irish Brigade came up, under command of General Thomas Francis
      Meagher. They had been ordered to commplete our work by a charge.

      IMHO, Gerry, this places the westernmost troops of the Irish Brigade
      arouind midpoint between the bend in the Sunken Road and the current
      tower.

      Tony Turner

      PS - I'm away from my computer most of the time during these August days
      and may not be able to reply right away. But please let's continue. -T