Sears on Mc

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 117 , Feb 24, 2006
      Tom --

      After I naively opened the can of worms on McClellan's psychology (and got
      roundly spanked for it), I picked up a copy of Sears's "Controversies &
      Commanders". Very interesting. Regarding his letters to Ellen, he believes
      they are perfectly honest but differ not a whit from anything he wrote or
      said to anybody else. He devotes about eight pages to "psycho-history" and
      examines four different McClellans. In conclusion he quotes Russell F.
      Weigley.
      "He (Mc) was never a warrior. He was a cautious, timorous man -- probably
      not so different from the rest of us...Reading between the lines we see in
      the (McClellan) Papers a McClellan who was simply and continually frightened
      by war, which is not so mysterious a condition."

      Sears's conclusion? Antietam "ended as it did because (once again) of
      General McClellan's incapacity on the battlefield." Parentheses in the
      original.

      After all is said and done -- once again -- you are right. I'm going back
      to my metaphorical Pry House now where I will continue to watch and learn
      from afar.

      Richard

      Message 117 of 117 , Mar 2 9:30 AM

        Thanks!