Mac Not Present at Dedication

  • philipkesaris
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 23, 2006
      In looking at Sears's George B. McClellan, The Young Napoleon, pp. 390-
      391 and the footnotes thereto, it is clear Mac was in Paris during
      September 1867, working for the American marine engineer Edwin A.
      Stephens, seeking a European buyer for an ironclad floating battery.
      Mac did not return to the U.S. until 1868. Indeed, he had remained in
      Europe for three years, 1865-68. This is corroborated by
      the "Biographical Sketch" by W.C. Prime at the beginning of McClellan's
      Own Story, pp. 15-16. So, it does not appear that he could have been
      present at the Antietam Cemetery dedication on Sept. 17, 1867, despite
      the appearance of his name on the "Order of Procession" Program for the
      ceremony. Perhaps Mac was truthful in telling Kyd Douglas in 1885 that
      he was not invited to the 1867 dedication? Perhaps he never received
      the invitation, if sent? Who knows... - Phil
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23, 2006
        Phil,
        You beat me to it! I was going to look at Sears bio when I got home.
        It seems clear he was invited, but perhaps did not receive it. God job.

        >>> philipkesaris@... 02/23/06 8:29 PM >>>
      • philipkesaris
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 23, 2006
          Thanks Tom! It is a little thing in the grand scheme of Antietam
          history, but it bugged me. Tom, I have been reading Carman's monograph
          Chapters 13, 15-21, which covers the Antietam battle only. I got this
          from the Sid Meier game CD. I would really like to read the rest of
          Carman's monograph on the campaign. Is my only option to sit in the
          Library of Congress to read it? I'll do so if necessary, but wondered
          if there is an easier way.... Thanks. - Phil

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 24, 2006
            Plenty of info about the cemetery dedication (September, 17th, 1867),
            including the order of procession, is online at:

            http://www.whilbr.org/antietamNationalCemetery/index.aspx

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
              Antietam Battlefield has a copy of my typescript, I think, but I am
              reluctant to start handing them out before my work is finished. Sorry.

              >>> philipkesaris@... 2/23/2006 9:47:46 PM >>>
              Thanks Tom! It is a little thing in the grand scheme of Antietam
              history, but it bugged me. Tom, I have been reading Carman's monograph

              Chapters 13, 15-21, which covers the Antietam battle only. I got this

              from the Sid Meier game CD. I would really like to read the rest of
              Carman's monograph on the campaign. Is my only option to sit in the
              Library of Congress to read it? I'll do so if necessary, but wondered
              if there is an easier way.... Thanks. - Phil

              > Phil,
              > You beat me to it! I was going to look at Sears bio when I got home.

              > It seems clear he was invited, but perhaps did not receive it. God
              job.

              > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

              Civil war history Civil war battles Civil war
              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
                I do not blame you, Tom.

                1788

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
                  There is a copy of Tom's dissertation in the Western Maryland Room at
                  the Washington County Library in Hagerstown. Just go in and see John
                  Frye. He will hook you up.

                  Cheers,
                  Stephen Recker
                  Hagerstown, MD