The First Shot

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18 9:20 AM
      One of many questions that came up during my recent trip to Antietam was:

      Who fired the first artillery shot of the Battle of Antietam on Sept 17?

      I thought it came from Pelham's Horse Artillery on Nicodemus Heights. I
      believe it was Mike's opinion that it came from Poague's Battery, positioned
      north of Dunker Church.

      According to "Lee and His Generals:The Ultimate Trivia Book" by Sauers it was
      Lieutenant A.W. Garber, a member of Stuart's batteries. I assume this means
      Pelham's guns.

      Any other thoughts?

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18 1:05 PM
        The NPS used to interpret that it was likely agun from the Baltimore Light
        Artillery (CS) in the West Woods. Not sure how they documented it.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18 6:25 PM
          Tom;

          IIRC, there is a small plaque or marker in the nnw corner of that
          part of the West Woods on the auto tour route near by the iron
          howitzer that purports to say the first shot of the Battle of
          Sharpsburg came from that gun (or one very much like it) which
          was part of the 1st Balto. Light Arty;.

          Do you recall seeing that?

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

          > One of many questions that came up during my recent trip to
          Antietam was:

          > Who fired the first artillery shot of the Battle of Antietam on
          Sept 17?

          > I thought it came from Pelham's Horse Artillery on Nicodemus
          Heights. I
          > believe it was Mike's opinion that it came from Poague's
          Battery, positioned
          > north of Dunker Church.
          >
          > According to "Lee and His Generals:The Ultimate Trivia Book" by
          Sauers it was
          > Lieutenant A.W. Garber, a member of Stuart's batteries. I
          assume this means
          > Pelham's guns.
          >
          > Any other thoughts?
          >
          > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

          Service.

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19 4:56 AM
            In a message dated 07/18/2001 10:41:44 PM EST, gerry1952@... writes:
            << small plaque or marker in the nnw corner of that part of the West Woods on
            the auto tour route near by the iron howitzer that purports to say the first
            shot of the Battle of Sharpsburg came from that gun (or one very much like
            it) which was part of the 1st Balto. Light Arty; >>

            I dont' recall seeing the marker, but thanks for the info.
            As Tom Clemens also concurs with that response, it sounds good to me.

            Tom Shay - Cressona, PA