Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Trip Report

  • Bill and/or Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
      rotbaron@... wrote:

      > We made a left on Jackson Street. At the "T", we made a right and arrived at
      > the Hilltop House. It sits on Magazine Hill (magazine was established there
      > above flood zone). I had never been there before.

      It's also affectionately know as the "Firetrap House" by many of us who have
      stayed there while participating at events at HF. Teddy Roosevelt slept there
      too. It's a great place to stay and their buffet's are excellent. The view is
      grand in early October when we gather at HF for the 1860 election Day event on
      the second Saturday of the month.

      > The large building in the distance (in Camp Hill) is Matter Training Center
      > (sp?). It
      > had been the quarters of Alfred Barber (Dennis said he was the
      > superintendent, but I forget of what!)

      Barber was the superintendent of the harpers Ferry Arsenal.

      Did Dennis take you to the Antietam Iron Furnace site at the point where Antietam
      Creek connects with the Potomac? Many of the Ninth Corps units were camped there
      in the weeks after the battle.

      Bill Christen
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
        Mike--

        Thank you for your offer. You can count on me to take you up on
        it sometime soon. However, with getting ready for a nine day trip
        to French Canada looming at the end of this week, perhaps
        sometime in August I might be able to swing such a trip
        financially and materially.

        I just need to decided whether I want to make it an overnight,
        i.e. Saturday to Sunday, or a one day trip, i.e. a Saturday or a
        Sunday, and making for a very long day...

        I will keep you posted. Perhaps best to do so by private email.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 18, 2001
          In a message dated 07/17/2001 4:01:43 PM EST, gwjchris@... writes:
          << Barber was the superintendent of the harpers Ferry Arsenal.
          Did Dennis take you to the Antietam Iron Furnace site at the point where
          Antietam Creek connects with the Potomac? Many of the Ninth Corps units were
          camped there in the weeks after the battle. >>

          Greetings Bill!

          Thanks for clarifyng who Barber was.

          No, we didn't get to Antietam Iron Furnace. Indeed, that is one area which I
          have yet to explore. I'd also like to see the aqueduct site which Walker
          tried to
          destroy. Plus, I've not yet visited the Monocacy battlefield. So plenty of
          reasons for another excursion!

          Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
        • John Priest
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 18, 2001
            Great - contact me by private e-mail. Mike Priest