Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: McClellan Post-War Visit(s) to Antietam?

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 19, 2006
      Yes, that new trail is pretty nice. They still need to do some work
      there. We cut a lot of trees last month, and hope to do some more
      before spring. I was there yesterday, which I think even colder.
      Luckily I had a complete goretex suit, and walked the Snavely Ford trail
      with our dog. Not too cold.

      >>> philipkesaris@... 02/19/06 4:31 PM >>>
    • philipkesaris
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 19, 2006
        Agreed Tom. I sat on the edge of that 12th Ohio Monument with my
        Carman map and the nice Park Service brochure ("The Final Attack
        Trail")and finally figured out the whole end game of the battle.
        Phenomenal view, as were the views at stops 2-4, especially this time
        of year. The whole trail was deserted - dead quiet all afternoon. I
        was wondering if that hackberry tree next to the stone wall at stop 6
        (the extreme southern end of NPS property) was a "witness" tree? I
        imagined it was anyway... The low ground between 6 and 7 gave me a
        whole new appreciation for the plight of the 4th RI and 16th
        Connecticut -- talk about a tight spot to be in... Very chilling
        area... You can't appreciate it from any book - you gotta see the
        ground, as I'm sure you know well. Let me know when more work needs
        to be done on this trail (or anywhere else for that matter); I'd be
        happy to help SHAF out. Take care, - Phil

        PS: I especially enjoy it when Jeff gets going about Little Mac.
        Very entertaining to read the back and forth over the years!

        > Yes, that new trail is pretty nice. They still need to do some work
        > there. We cut a lot of trees last month, and hope to do some more
        > before spring. I was there yesterday, which I think even colder.
        > Luckily I had a complete goretex suit, and walked the Snavely Ford
        trail
        > with our dog. Not too cold.
        >
        > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

      • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 20, 2006
          I know. He visited the field long enough to be talked out of an attack
          by a guy whose opinions he usually had nothing but contempt for.

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 20, 2006
            A vain but unstable man, who sat a horse well and wanted to be
            president.

            Proceed.

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 20, 2006
              I knew I was in error, but I was hardly going to let that stand in the
              way of a cheap shot at Tardy George.

              Taney said in Dred Scott that a black man had no rights a white man was
              bound to respect. I pretty much think Mac at Antietam is fair game in
              more or less the same way.

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 20, 2006
                What does Sykes have to do with this?

                I have long seen the similarities between you and Tanney. The two of you
                are equally admirable.

                Harry

                _____

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 20, 2006
                  You'll pay for that.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 20, 2006
                    Are you saying you are not as admirable as Justice Tanney?

                    Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

                    Harry

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 20, 2006
                      Weak Jeff. But please do keep flailing away. You're bound to hit
                      something, sometime.