Re: McClellan Post-War Visit(s) to Antietam?

  • barringer63
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 19 7:53 AM
      Harry Smeltzer wrote:

      > Damn Tom. After all these years, you still take the bait!

      Both you and Tom are just like guppies when it comes to this. Tom
      merely commented that Jeff was in error but you, Harry, have given
      Jeff an outline for at least a week's worth of discussion.

      Teej
    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 19 8:00 AM
        Like he needs an outline.

        > Damn Tom. After all these years, you still take the bait!

        Both you and Tom are just like guppies when it comes to this. Tom
        merely commented that Jeff was in error but you, Harry, have given
        Jeff an outline for at least a week's worth of discussion.

        Teej

        Civil
        history

        Civil
        battles

        Civil

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

        _____

      • philipkesaris
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 19 1:31 PM
          Thanks! I suspect Mac was invited to the dedication of the cemetery,
          but didn't show up. I was at the field today (sunny but freezing
          cold) and walked the 1.7 mile "final attack" trail, which was really
          tremendous. There was one secluded area of very low ground in Otto's
          40-acre cornfield where A.P. Hill's men slaughtered the Connecticut
          and Rhode Island boys. It's easy to picture what happened from the
          terrain. I couldn't help but be reminded of the Crater scene at
          Petersburg. I'm not a superstitious guy, but the place actually
          spooked me. Anyway, the trail is a great addition to the park!
          Regards, - Phil

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 19 1:48 PM
            Yes, that new trail is pretty nice. They still need to do some work
            there. We cut a lot of trees last month, and hope to do some more
            before spring. I was there yesterday, which I think even colder.
            Luckily I had a complete goretex suit, and walked the Snavely Ford trail
            with our dog. Not too cold.

            >>> philipkesaris@... 02/19/06 4:31 PM >>>
          • philipkesaris
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 19 2:54 PM
              Agreed Tom. I sat on the edge of that 12th Ohio Monument with my
              Carman map and the nice Park Service brochure ("The Final Attack
              Trail")and finally figured out the whole end game of the battle.
              Phenomenal view, as were the views at stops 2-4, especially this time
              of year. The whole trail was deserted - dead quiet all afternoon. I
              was wondering if that hackberry tree next to the stone wall at stop 6
              (the extreme southern end of NPS property) was a "witness" tree? I
              imagined it was anyway... The low ground between 6 and 7 gave me a
              whole new appreciation for the plight of the 4th RI and 16th
              Connecticut -- talk about a tight spot to be in... Very chilling
              area... You can't appreciate it from any book - you gotta see the
              ground, as I'm sure you know well. Let me know when more work needs
              to be done on this trail (or anywhere else for that matter); I'd be
              happy to help SHAF out. Take care, - Phil

              PS: I especially enjoy it when Jeff gets going about Little Mac.
              Very entertaining to read the back and forth over the years!

              > Yes, that new trail is pretty nice. They still need to do some work
              > there. We cut a lot of trees last month, and hope to do some more
              > before spring. I was there yesterday, which I think even colder.
              > Luckily I had a complete goretex suit, and walked the Snavely Ford
              trail
              > with our dog. Not too cold.
              >
              > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

            • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 20 6:14 AM
                I know. He visited the field long enough to be talked out of an attack
                by a guy whose opinions he usually had nothing but contempt for.

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 20 6:14 AM
                  A vain but unstable man, who sat a horse well and wanted to be
                  president.

                  Proceed.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 20 6:16 AM
                    I knew I was in error, but I was hardly going to let that stand in the
                    way of a cheap shot at Tardy George.

                    Taney said in Dred Scott that a black man had no rights a white man was
                    bound to respect. I pretty much think Mac at Antietam is fair game in
                    more or less the same way.

                    > Damn Tom. After all these years, you still take the bait!

                    Both you and Tom are just like guppies when it comes to this. Tom
                    merely commented that Jeff was in error but you, Harry, have given Jeff
                    an outline for at least a week's worth of discussion.

                    Teej

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Harry Smeltzer
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 20 6:30 AM
                      What does Sykes have to do with this?

                      I have long seen the similarities between you and Tanney. The two of you
                      are equally admirable.

                      Harry

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 20 7:14 AM
                        You'll pay for that.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 20 7:18 AM
                          Are you saying you are not as admirable as Justice Tanney?

                          Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

                          Harry

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 20 7:45 AM
                            Weak Jeff. But please do keep flailing away. You're bound to hit
                            something, sometime.