Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Lee's Reasons for Retreating to Sharpsburg (plus two quick questions)

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
      This is from Carman. No mention of the bridge:

      On the evening of September 16th, when McClellan directed Sumner to
      send the Twelfth Corps across the Antietam that night, Sumner correctly
      requested that the Second Corps should go, also, but McClellan would
      not consent; he gave orders to hold the corps in readiness to march an
      hour before daybreak, to support Hooker, but not to move until further
      orders. In anticipation of going that night Sumner had already sent
      some of his batteries across the Antietam. Sumner's men had all
      breakfasted before daybreak, filled their canteens and rolled their
      blankets; they were ready to march but no orders came, and a little
      after 6 o'clock Sumner, with his son, Captain S.S. Sumner, of his
      staff, went to headquarters, but a few yards distant, for orders and
      personal instructions. McClellan had not yet awakened from sleep and
      none of his staff seemed disposed to disturb him, though the roar of
      the battle was sounding in their ears. Sumner waited, walking to and
      fro on the veranda of the Pry house, or sitting on the steps, the roar
      of battle increasing and the detonation of the heavy guns shaking the
      panes and shivering the sash of the windows, which let into McClellan's
      room the full sunlight, but McClellan did not make his appearance.
      Members of the staff were watching Hooker's struggle, which was in full
      view, yet McClellan could not be seen and one of his staff members
      remarked that Hooker's fight was only a rearguard affair, as "Uncle
      Bobby Lee" was too much of a soldier to fight in that position with a
      river at his back. And the opinion was expressed to McClellan, also,
      that morning, whether he shared it or not we do not know.

      Finally, at 7:20 a.m., after waiting more than an hour, Sumner received
      his orders to cross the Antietam with two divisions, Richardson to
      follow when relieved by Morell's' Division of the Fifth Corps. He put
      Sedgwick in motion immediately, French following, went down the hill in
      rear of McClellan's headquarters and crossed the Antietam at Pry's
      Ford, where Doubleday had crossed the evening before, and when across
      ascended a gentle slope for about a quarter of a mile, halted and
      formed his lines.

      Stephen

      On Friday, February 17, 2006, at 09:25 AM, Brian Downey wrote:

      > This is an entertaining question. I hope someone has time to dig in
      > General Carman's notes (!).
    • barringer63
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
        Brian Downey wrote:

        > Hi Philip,
        >
        > I've not seen the Upper Bridge called "Sumner's" anywhere else
        either.

        The only reference to a "Sumner's Bridge" that I could find is that
        it is an alternate name for Grapevine Bridge on the Chickahominy.

        Teej
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
          It is called Sumner's Bridge infrequently in Antietam literature, and
          also, alternatively, Hooker's or Doubleday's Bridge.

          >>> teej@... 02/17/06 6:53 PM >>>