Re: Lee's Reasons for Retreating to Sharpsburg (plus two quick questions)

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
      Hi Philip,

      I've not seen the Upper Bridge called "Sumner's" anywhere else either.
      The tablets you found are #14:
      http://aotw.org/tablet.php?tablet_id=140 and #15:
      http://aotw.org/tablet.php?tablet_id=150 (Stephen's got 'em pictured
      online also:
      http://www.virtualantietam.com/monuments/detail.cfm?curMon=120ht and
      http://www.virtualantietam.com/monuments/detail.cfm?curMon=121ht ),
      and they talk about I Corps units. You're quite right about Sumner's
      troops crossing at the Pry Ford.

      Carman only uses this name on those two tablets, as far as I can tell,
      and he refers to it as the "Upper Bridge" on at least 4 others (1, 48,
      118, 119). On the maps in the Battlefield Board's Atlas it's the
      "Upper Bridge".

      It's possible this refers to Gen Sumner's role as Wing Commander on
      the right.

      This is an entertaining question. I hope someone has time to dig in
      General Carman's notes (!).

      Regards,
      Brian

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "philipkesaris"
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
        This is from Carman. No mention of the bridge:

        On the evening of September 16th, when McClellan directed Sumner to
        send the Twelfth Corps across the Antietam that night, Sumner correctly
        requested that the Second Corps should go, also, but McClellan would
        not consent; he gave orders to hold the corps in readiness to march an
        hour before daybreak, to support Hooker, but not to move until further
        orders. In anticipation of going that night Sumner had already sent
        some of his batteries across the Antietam. Sumner's men had all
        breakfasted before daybreak, filled their canteens and rolled their
        blankets; they were ready to march but no orders came, and a little
        after 6 o'clock Sumner, with his son, Captain S.S. Sumner, of his
        staff, went to headquarters, but a few yards distant, for orders and
        personal instructions. McClellan had not yet awakened from sleep and
        none of his staff seemed disposed to disturb him, though the roar of
        the battle was sounding in their ears. Sumner waited, walking to and
        fro on the veranda of the Pry house, or sitting on the steps, the roar
        of battle increasing and the detonation of the heavy guns shaking the
        panes and shivering the sash of the windows, which let into McClellan's
        room the full sunlight, but McClellan did not make his appearance.
        Members of the staff were watching Hooker's struggle, which was in full
        view, yet McClellan could not be seen and one of his staff members
        remarked that Hooker's fight was only a rearguard affair, as "Uncle
        Bobby Lee" was too much of a soldier to fight in that position with a
        river at his back. And the opinion was expressed to McClellan, also,
        that morning, whether he shared it or not we do not know.

        Finally, at 7:20 a.m., after waiting more than an hour, Sumner received
        his orders to cross the Antietam with two divisions, Richardson to
        follow when relieved by Morell's' Division of the Fifth Corps. He put
        Sedgwick in motion immediately, French following, went down the hill in
        rear of McClellan's headquarters and crossed the Antietam at Pry's
        Ford, where Doubleday had crossed the evening before, and when across
        ascended a gentle slope for about a quarter of a mile, halted and
        formed his lines.

        Stephen

        On Friday, February 17, 2006, at 09:25 AM, Brian Downey wrote:

        > This is an entertaining question. I hope someone has time to dig in
        > General Carman's notes (!).
      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
          Brian Downey wrote:

          > Hi Philip,
          >
          > I've not seen the Upper Bridge called "Sumner's" anywhere else
          either.

          The only reference to a "Sumner's Bridge" that I could find is that
          it is an alternate name for Grapevine Bridge on the Chickahominy.

          Teej
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
            It is called Sumner's Bridge infrequently in Antietam literature, and
            also, alternatively, Hooker's or Doubleday's Bridge.

            >>> teej@... 02/17/06 6:53 PM >>>