Re: [TalkAntietam] Lee's Reasons for Retreating to Sharpsburg (plus two quick questions)

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 16, 2006
      In Blue and Grey Magazine, Holiday 2004, the Iron Brigade, they include
      Marameade as part of the driving tour:

      "Leaving Middletown by staying on Alt. US 40 West, in about a mile
      cross Catoctin Creek and take an odometer reading, as the next site can
      be easily missed. Beyond the creek,1.4 miles is a large white house on
      the left known as "Marameade". It was Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's
      HQ during the Battle of South Mountain, and on the grounds of the
      estate was placed the heavier artillery of the army to support the
      attack."

      Stephen Recker

      On Thursday, February 16, 2006, at 09:20 PM, philipkesaris wrote:

      > (2) Where is "Marameade" located?
    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
        Hi Philip,

        I've not seen the Upper Bridge called "Sumner's" anywhere else either.
        The tablets you found are #14:
        http://aotw.org/tablet.php?tablet_id=140 and #15:
        http://aotw.org/tablet.php?tablet_id=150 (Stephen's got 'em pictured
        online also:
        http://www.virtualantietam.com/monuments/detail.cfm?curMon=120ht and
        http://www.virtualantietam.com/monuments/detail.cfm?curMon=121ht ),
        and they talk about I Corps units. You're quite right about Sumner's
        troops crossing at the Pry Ford.

        Carman only uses this name on those two tablets, as far as I can tell,
        and he refers to it as the "Upper Bridge" on at least 4 others (1, 48,
        118, 119). On the maps in the Battlefield Board's Atlas it's the
        "Upper Bridge".

        It's possible this refers to Gen Sumner's role as Wing Commander on
        the right.

        This is an entertaining question. I hope someone has time to dig in
        General Carman's notes (!).

        Regards,
        Brian

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "philipkesaris"
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
          This is from Carman. No mention of the bridge:

          On the evening of September 16th, when McClellan directed Sumner to
          send the Twelfth Corps across the Antietam that night, Sumner correctly
          requested that the Second Corps should go, also, but McClellan would
          not consent; he gave orders to hold the corps in readiness to march an
          hour before daybreak, to support Hooker, but not to move until further
          orders. In anticipation of going that night Sumner had already sent
          some of his batteries across the Antietam. Sumner's men had all
          breakfasted before daybreak, filled their canteens and rolled their
          blankets; they were ready to march but no orders came, and a little
          after 6 o'clock Sumner, with his son, Captain S.S. Sumner, of his
          staff, went to headquarters, but a few yards distant, for orders and
          personal instructions. McClellan had not yet awakened from sleep and
          none of his staff seemed disposed to disturb him, though the roar of
          the battle was sounding in their ears. Sumner waited, walking to and
          fro on the veranda of the Pry house, or sitting on the steps, the roar
          of battle increasing and the detonation of the heavy guns shaking the
          panes and shivering the sash of the windows, which let into McClellan's
          room the full sunlight, but McClellan did not make his appearance.
          Members of the staff were watching Hooker's struggle, which was in full
          view, yet McClellan could not be seen and one of his staff members
          remarked that Hooker's fight was only a rearguard affair, as "Uncle
          Bobby Lee" was too much of a soldier to fight in that position with a
          river at his back. And the opinion was expressed to McClellan, also,
          that morning, whether he shared it or not we do not know.

          Finally, at 7:20 a.m., after waiting more than an hour, Sumner received
          his orders to cross the Antietam with two divisions, Richardson to
          follow when relieved by Morell's' Division of the Fifth Corps. He put
          Sedgwick in motion immediately, French following, went down the hill in
          rear of McClellan's headquarters and crossed the Antietam at Pry's
          Ford, where Doubleday had crossed the evening before, and when across
          ascended a gentle slope for about a quarter of a mile, halted and
          formed his lines.

          Stephen

          On Friday, February 17, 2006, at 09:25 AM, Brian Downey wrote:

          > This is an entertaining question. I hope someone has time to dig in
          > General Carman's notes (!).
        • barringer63
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
            Brian Downey wrote:

            > Hi Philip,
            >
            > I've not seen the Upper Bridge called "Sumner's" anywhere else
            either.

            The only reference to a "Sumner's Bridge" that I could find is that
            it is an alternate name for Grapevine Bridge on the Chickahominy.

            Teej
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
              It is called Sumner's Bridge infrequently in Antietam literature, and
              also, alternatively, Hooker's or Doubleday's Bridge.

              >>> teej@... 02/17/06 6:53 PM >>>