Re: [TalkAntietam] Lee's Reasons for Retreating to Sharpsburg (plus two quick questions)

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 16, 2006
      Phil,

      Welcome. As to most of your questions, I will try addressing if
      possible:

      1. Your mention is the first time I have heard the Upper Bridge across
      the Antietam, which btw is still being used as a road bridge to this
      day, referred as such!
      2. IIRC, there is a house which Mac and Burn used as HQ during the
      advance between Middletown and South Mountain and again IIRC, it is
      located on the left hand side of the road probably a few miles from
      Middletown.
      3. It is possible Lee could have telescoped a few events together, but
      I would tend to go with Harsh, who was very meticulous in his
      research. Tom Clemens is a student of Joe's and might be the best
      person to address this particular question. It is also possible Lee
      could have, as you state, simply decided to abandon the campaign based
      on the disaster at Turners/Fox's Passes rather than Cramptons.
      Sharpsburg was initially meant as a rallying point for the "main body"
      plus McLaws...but when Jackson reported Harpers Ferry would soon fall,
      Lee decided to make a stand at Sharpsburg and offer battle.

      Hope this helps.....

      1788

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 16, 2006
        Gerry - Thanks! I've been to Antietam dozens of times and have
        recently tried to actually read all the tablets closely. The
        references to "Sumner's Bridge" had me scratching my head... As to
        #2, I think I know the house you are talking about - it is close to
        the road (Alt 40 going west, just before "Bolivar") and obviously
        very old. I'm sure Tom will correct me if it's not the house. The
        only reference I could find to "Marameade" on Google was a ghost
        story about a house in Middletown. As to my question about Lee's
        decision to retreat from SM, I'm inclined to credit Harsh too - TATF
        is an amazing tour de force; the level of detail awes me. Wonder if
        Carman addressed the subject? BTW, I've really enjoyed reading all
        of your insightful comments in this forum... Regards, - PK

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 16, 2006
          Phil;

          Tom Clemens earned his Doctorate working on parts of the Carman MS, so
          he would be the one to ask on this board.

          However, if you have the Sid Meier game "Antietam", you might want to
          check to see what part of the Carman MS on the game might mention the
          information you seek.

          You might also want to try a Google search for some Antietam related
          websites and especially take a look at the AOtW website.

          Thank you for your compliment but I am just a student like
          yourself...trying to come to grips with the battle that was the
          strategic turning point of the War. Even though Vicksburg basically
          broke the Confederacy in half and Gettysburg blunted the offensive
          power of the ANV, it was Sharpsburg which gave AL the impetus to
          release the Preliminary Emancipation Proclamation...which put England
          and France on notice that the US was finally going to do something
          about slavery and also meant the Federal Govt. was going to see the
          War through no matter what. What most people do not realize about the
          EP is that it really did not free any slaves in the Loyal States or in
          most of the South where the Union forces were in control.

          1788

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 16, 2006
            In Blue and Grey Magazine, Holiday 2004, the Iron Brigade, they include
            Marameade as part of the driving tour:

            "Leaving Middletown by staying on Alt. US 40 West, in about a mile
            cross Catoctin Creek and take an odometer reading, as the next site can
            be easily missed. Beyond the creek,1.4 miles is a large white house on
            the left known as "Marameade". It was Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's
            HQ during the Battle of South Mountain, and on the grounds of the
            estate was placed the heavier artillery of the army to support the
            attack."

            Stephen Recker

            On Thursday, February 16, 2006, at 09:20 PM, philipkesaris wrote:

            > (2) Where is "Marameade" located?
          • Brian Downey
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
              Hi Philip,

              I've not seen the Upper Bridge called "Sumner's" anywhere else either.
              The tablets you found are #14:
              http://aotw.org/tablet.php?tablet_id=140 and #15:
              http://aotw.org/tablet.php?tablet_id=150 (Stephen's got 'em pictured
              online also:
              http://www.virtualantietam.com/monuments/detail.cfm?curMon=120ht and
              http://www.virtualantietam.com/monuments/detail.cfm?curMon=121ht ),
              and they talk about I Corps units. You're quite right about Sumner's
              troops crossing at the Pry Ford.

              Carman only uses this name on those two tablets, as far as I can tell,
              and he refers to it as the "Upper Bridge" on at least 4 others (1, 48,
              118, 119). On the maps in the Battlefield Board's Atlas it's the
              "Upper Bridge".

              It's possible this refers to Gen Sumner's role as Wing Commander on
              the right.

              This is an entertaining question. I hope someone has time to dig in
              General Carman's notes (!).

              Regards,
              Brian

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "philipkesaris"
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
                This is from Carman. No mention of the bridge:

                On the evening of September 16th, when McClellan directed Sumner to
                send the Twelfth Corps across the Antietam that night, Sumner correctly
                requested that the Second Corps should go, also, but McClellan would
                not consent; he gave orders to hold the corps in readiness to march an
                hour before daybreak, to support Hooker, but not to move until further
                orders. In anticipation of going that night Sumner had already sent
                some of his batteries across the Antietam. Sumner's men had all
                breakfasted before daybreak, filled their canteens and rolled their
                blankets; they were ready to march but no orders came, and a little
                after 6 o'clock Sumner, with his son, Captain S.S. Sumner, of his
                staff, went to headquarters, but a few yards distant, for orders and
                personal instructions. McClellan had not yet awakened from sleep and
                none of his staff seemed disposed to disturb him, though the roar of
                the battle was sounding in their ears. Sumner waited, walking to and
                fro on the veranda of the Pry house, or sitting on the steps, the roar
                of battle increasing and the detonation of the heavy guns shaking the
                panes and shivering the sash of the windows, which let into McClellan's
                room the full sunlight, but McClellan did not make his appearance.
                Members of the staff were watching Hooker's struggle, which was in full
                view, yet McClellan could not be seen and one of his staff members
                remarked that Hooker's fight was only a rearguard affair, as "Uncle
                Bobby Lee" was too much of a soldier to fight in that position with a
                river at his back. And the opinion was expressed to McClellan, also,
                that morning, whether he shared it or not we do not know.

                Finally, at 7:20 a.m., after waiting more than an hour, Sumner received
                his orders to cross the Antietam with two divisions, Richardson to
                follow when relieved by Morell's' Division of the Fifth Corps. He put
                Sedgwick in motion immediately, French following, went down the hill in
                rear of McClellan's headquarters and crossed the Antietam at Pry's
                Ford, where Doubleday had crossed the evening before, and when across
                ascended a gentle slope for about a quarter of a mile, halted and
                formed his lines.

                Stephen

                On Friday, February 17, 2006, at 09:25 AM, Brian Downey wrote:

                > This is an entertaining question. I hope someone has time to dig in
                > General Carman's notes (!).
              • barringer63
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
                  Brian Downey wrote:

                  > Hi Philip,
                  >
                  > I've not seen the Upper Bridge called "Sumner's" anywhere else
                  either.

                  The only reference to a "Sumner's Bridge" that I could find is that
                  it is an alternate name for Grapevine Bridge on the Chickahominy.

                  Teej
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 17, 2006
                    It is called Sumner's Bridge infrequently in Antietam literature, and
                    also, alternatively, Hooker's or Doubleday's Bridge.

                    >>> teej@... 02/17/06 6:53 PM >>>