Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Trip Report

  • John Priest
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
      Gerry:

      Give me a call. I am under John Priest in the local directory for
      Washington Co. MD

      Mike Priest

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
        In a message dated 07/17/2001 5:36:12 AM EST, dunkerch@... writes:
        << Please post where the tour went at Harpers Ferry. >>

        I wish I had better knowledge of the roads at HF (Harpers Ferry) so I could
        give full details. But here goes...

        First we met Dennis Frye at the VC and then headed down Washington Street
        into Camp Hill.

        We made a left on Jackson Street. At the "T", we made a right and arrived at
        the Hilltop House. It sits on Magazine Hill (magazine was established there
        above flood zone). I had never been there before. It sits above the Potomac
        River and provides the best view of HF region I've yet seen. Across from it
        is where the Dahlgrens were set up. It is excellent place to begin a
        discussion of the HF fight. Also it looks like perfect spot for a picnic!

        Next we headed through town of BH (Bolivar Heights) and took Rt 340 south to
        ascend Fed position. At the crest of BH, Dennis noted you can view entire
        width of the Shenandoah Valley to western end (40 miles).

        We made a right on Shipley School Road and stopped at Elementary School to
        view Reb position. In 1862, this was a one-room schoolhouse, hence the name
        Schoolhouse Ridge. Dennis noted there were fewer trees in our front along BH
        in 1862, thus it was formidable for Rebs to assault. So the Feds were only in
        trouble if Md Heights and Loudoun Hts fall. It was here that Jackson arrived
        about 11 AM on Sept 13. Dennis noted BH is on recent top 10 list of
        endangered battlefields.

        Next we went to BH parking lot where the interpretive signs are. The large
        building in the distance (in Camp Hill) is Matter Training Center (sp?). It
        had been the quarters of Alfred Barber (Dennis said he was the
        superintendent, but I forget of what!) and was a Union gun position. From
        here, one can view the Catoctin Mtn Range in far distance.

        We walked into this park area and Dennis pointed out various geographic
        references, wuch as Short Hill (in VA) in mid-distance, but played no role in
        this fight.

        Dennis provided great analysis of how Jackson conducted a rare artillery
        flank-march at night, during which they crossed the Shenandoah River and cut
        a road. He pointed out on Loudoun Hts (below the power line) is a plateau
        where the guns were placed. Off to the right of our position, we could view
        the Chamber Farm. IIRC, this is where Hill's men and 20 guns were posted that
        night.

        We then drove thru HF and Dennis pointed out lots of items, such as Hall
        Canal, which provided hydro-power for Hall Plant that made the Hall
        breech-loading rifles.

        Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
      • Bill and/or Glenna Jo Christen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
          rotbaron@... wrote:

          > We made a left on Jackson Street. At the "T", we made a right and arrived at
          > the Hilltop House. It sits on Magazine Hill (magazine was established there
          > above flood zone). I had never been there before.

          It's also affectionately know as the "Firetrap House" by many of us who have
          stayed there while participating at events at HF. Teddy Roosevelt slept there
          too. It's a great place to stay and their buffet's are excellent. The view is
          grand in early October when we gather at HF for the 1860 election Day event on
          the second Saturday of the month.

          > The large building in the distance (in Camp Hill) is Matter Training Center
          > (sp?). It
          > had been the quarters of Alfred Barber (Dennis said he was the
          > superintendent, but I forget of what!)

          Barber was the superintendent of the harpers Ferry Arsenal.

          Did Dennis take you to the Antietam Iron Furnace site at the point where Antietam
          Creek connects with the Potomac? Many of the Ninth Corps units were camped there
          in the weeks after the battle.

          Bill Christen
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 17, 2001
            Mike--

            Thank you for your offer. You can count on me to take you up on
            it sometime soon. However, with getting ready for a nine day trip
            to French Canada looming at the end of this week, perhaps
            sometime in August I might be able to swing such a trip
            financially and materially.

            I just need to decided whether I want to make it an overnight,
            i.e. Saturday to Sunday, or a one day trip, i.e. a Saturday or a
            Sunday, and making for a very long day...

            I will keep you posted. Perhaps best to do so by private email.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            Edward Lee

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 18, 2001
              In a message dated 07/17/2001 4:01:43 PM EST, gwjchris@... writes:
              << Barber was the superintendent of the harpers Ferry Arsenal.
              Did Dennis take you to the Antietam Iron Furnace site at the point where
              Antietam Creek connects with the Potomac? Many of the Ninth Corps units were
              camped there in the weeks after the battle. >>

              Greetings Bill!

              Thanks for clarifyng who Barber was.

              No, we didn't get to Antietam Iron Furnace. Indeed, that is one area which I
              have yet to explore. I'd also like to see the aqueduct site which Walker
              tried to
              destroy. Plus, I've not yet visited the Monocacy battlefield. So plenty of
              reasons for another excursion!

              Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
            • John Priest
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 18, 2001
                Great - contact me by private e-mail. Mike Priest