Re: [TalkAntietam] Hoffman Farm Hospital

  • wutheringheights@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
      Thanks Tom. Most of all I collect images of soldiers who fought at Antietam, and have at least one or two that died of wounds at that hospital. I'd love to visit it sometime!

      Scott

      From: "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...>
      No, but I know who owns it.

      >>> wutheringheights@... 2/16/2006 1:08:04 PM >>>

      Is the Hoffman Farm Hospital site within the boundaries of the
      Antietam Battlefield? I'm very interested in this particular hospital

      site.

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
        That's great, I'd like to see them, and I know John Schildt would too.
        BTW, he is retiring this June and may be doing more writing,
        researching, etc. The Hoffman Farm is along Keedysville Road, and is
        marked by a sign identifying it as a Civil War Hospital. Save Historic
        Antietam Foundation puts these signs up, free, to any property owner of
        a documented hospital or Headquarters, and willing to have one.
        Tom Clemens

        >>> wutheringheights@... 2/16/2006 2:31:50 PM >>>

        Thanks Tom. I have a booklet written by John W. Schildt
        titled "Antietam Hospitals" which maps where the various hospitals
        were located on the battlefield. However, I never compared it to a
        modern map of the battlefield to see if it fell within their
        boundaries. In my collection I have at least one or two images of
        soldiers who died there, hence my interest in that important
        hospital. Scott

      • wutheringheights@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
          Tom:

          You and John are more than welcome. I'm in the middle of a little side project, but when I'm finished I'll send you part of my research/photos. I know that I have a 13th MA enlisted man who died on the Hoffman Farm, although the records state that he was killed outright.

          Thanks for clarifying where the Hoffman Farm is. I had a vague idea, but erred to the west.

          Scott