Re: [TalkAntietam] Hoffman Farm Hospital

  • wutheringheights@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
      Thanks Tom. Most of all I collect images of soldiers who fought at Antietam, and have at least one or two that died of wounds at that hospital. I'd love to visit it sometime!

      Scott

      From: "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...>
      No, but I know who owns it.

      >>> wutheringheights@... 2/16/2006 1:08:04 PM >>>

      Is the Hoffman Farm Hospital site within the boundaries of the
      Antietam Battlefield? I'm very interested in this particular hospital

      site.

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Scott Hann
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
        Brian, thanks for the info and the map. Scott

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@...>
        wrote:

        > To add to Tom's helpfull map,
        >
        > I make the Hoffman Farm to be about 1/2 mile east of the Smoketown
        > Road, just east of the NE corner of the East Woods (1862 size).
        That
        > puts it well outside the Park, unless there's been a land
        acquisition
        > out there I don't know about.
        >
        > Brian
        >

        > > There is a park map at:
        > > http://www.nps.gov/anti/map_main.htm
        > >
        > > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
          Thanks Tom. I have a booklet written by John W. Schildt
          titled "Antietam Hospitals" which maps where the various hospitals
          were located on the battlefield. However, I never compared it to a
          modern map of the battlefield to see if it fell within their
          boundaries. In my collection I have at least one or two images of
          soldiers who died there, hence my interest in that important
          hospital. Scott

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
            That's great, I'd like to see them, and I know John Schildt would too.
            BTW, he is retiring this June and may be doing more writing,
            researching, etc. The Hoffman Farm is along Keedysville Road, and is
            marked by a sign identifying it as a Civil War Hospital. Save Historic
            Antietam Foundation puts these signs up, free, to any property owner of
            a documented hospital or Headquarters, and willing to have one.
            Tom Clemens

            >>> wutheringheights@... 2/16/2006 2:31:50 PM >>>

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
              Tom:

              You and John are more than welcome. I'm in the middle of a little side project, but when I'm finished I'll send you part of my research/photos. I know that I have a 13th MA enlisted man who died on the Hoffman Farm, although the records state that he was killed outright.

              Thanks for clarifying where the Hoffman Farm is. I had a vague idea, but erred to the west.

              Scott