Re: Hoffman Farm Hospital

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
      To add to Tom's helpfull map,

      I make the Hoffman Farm to be about 1/2 mile east of the Smoketown
      Road, just east of the NE corner of the East Woods (1862 size). That
      puts it well outside the Park, unless there's been a land acquisition
      out there I don't know about.

      Brian

    • wutheringheights@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
        Thanks Tom. Most of all I collect images of soldiers who fought at Antietam, and have at least one or two that died of wounds at that hospital. I'd love to visit it sometime!

        Scott

        From: "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...>
        No, but I know who owns it.

        >>> wutheringheights@... 2/16/2006 1:08:04 PM >>>

        Is the Hoffman Farm Hospital site within the boundaries of the
        Antietam Battlefield? I'm very interested in this particular hospital

        site.

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
          Thanks Gerry.

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@...>
          wrote:

          > Scott,
          >
          > I do not think so....

          > "....the powers granted under the Constitution, being derived from
          the
          > people of the United States, may be resumed by them, whenever the
          same
          > shall be perverted to their injury or oppression;.."
          > Act of State of Virginia adopting the Federal Constitution, 26
          June
          > 1788

        • Scott Hann
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
            Brian, thanks for the info and the map. Scott

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@...>
            wrote:

            > To add to Tom's helpfull map,
            >
            > I make the Hoffman Farm to be about 1/2 mile east of the Smoketown
            > Road, just east of the NE corner of the East Woods (1862 size).
            That
            > puts it well outside the Park, unless there's been a land
            acquisition
            > out there I don't know about.
            >
            > Brian
            >

            > > There is a park map at:
            > > http://www.nps.gov/anti/map_main.htm
            > >
            > > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

          • Scott Hann
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
              Thanks Tom. I have a booklet written by John W. Schildt
              titled "Antietam Hospitals" which maps where the various hospitals
              were located on the battlefield. However, I never compared it to a
              modern map of the battlefield to see if it fell within their
              boundaries. In my collection I have at least one or two images of
              soldiers who died there, hence my interest in that important
              hospital. Scott

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                That's great, I'd like to see them, and I know John Schildt would too.
                BTW, he is retiring this June and may be doing more writing,
                researching, etc. The Hoffman Farm is along Keedysville Road, and is
                marked by a sign identifying it as a Civil War Hospital. Save Historic
                Antietam Foundation puts these signs up, free, to any property owner of
                a documented hospital or Headquarters, and willing to have one.
                Tom Clemens

                >>> wutheringheights@... 2/16/2006 2:31:50 PM >>>

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                  Tom:

                  You and John are more than welcome. I'm in the middle of a little side project, but when I'm finished I'll send you part of my research/photos. I know that I have a 13th MA enlisted man who died on the Hoffman Farm, although the records state that he was killed outright.

                  Thanks for clarifying where the Hoffman Farm is. I had a vague idea, but erred to the west.

                  Scott