Re: [TalkAntietam] Hoffman Farm Hospital

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
      No, but I know who owns it.

      >>> wutheringheights@... 2/16/2006 1:08:04 PM >>>

      Is the Hoffman Farm Hospital site within the boundaries of the
      Antietam Battlefield? I'm very interested in this particular hospital

      site.

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
        To add to Tom's helpfull map,

        I make the Hoffman Farm to be about 1/2 mile east of the Smoketown
        Road, just east of the NE corner of the East Woods (1862 size). That
        puts it well outside the Park, unless there's been a land acquisition
        out there I don't know about.

        Brian

      • wutheringheights@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
          Thanks Tom. Most of all I collect images of soldiers who fought at Antietam, and have at least one or two that died of wounds at that hospital. I'd love to visit it sometime!

          Scott

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
            Thanks Gerry.

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@...>
            wrote:

            > Scott,
            >
            > I do not think so....

            > "....the powers granted under the Constitution, being derived from
            the
            > people of the United States, may be resumed by them, whenever the
            same
            > shall be perverted to their injury or oppression;.."
            > Act of State of Virginia adopting the Federal Constitution, 26
            June
            > 1788

          • Scott Hann
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
              Brian, thanks for the info and the map. Scott

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@...>
              wrote:

              > To add to Tom's helpfull map,
              >
              > I make the Hoffman Farm to be about 1/2 mile east of the Smoketown
              > Road, just east of the NE corner of the East Woods (1862 size).
              That
              > puts it well outside the Park, unless there's been a land
              acquisition
              > out there I don't know about.
              >
              > Brian
              >

              > > There is a park map at:
              > > http://www.nps.gov/anti/map_main.htm
              > >
              > > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

            • Scott Hann
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                Thanks Tom. I have a booklet written by John W. Schildt
                titled "Antietam Hospitals" which maps where the various hospitals
                were located on the battlefield. However, I never compared it to a
                modern map of the battlefield to see if it fell within their
                boundaries. In my collection I have at least one or two images of
                soldiers who died there, hence my interest in that important
                hospital. Scott

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                  That's great, I'd like to see them, and I know John Schildt would too.
                  BTW, he is retiring this June and may be doing more writing,
                  researching, etc. The Hoffman Farm is along Keedysville Road, and is
                  marked by a sign identifying it as a Civil War Hospital. Save Historic
                  Antietam Foundation puts these signs up, free, to any property owner of
                  a documented hospital or Headquarters, and willing to have one.
                  Tom Clemens

                  >>> wutheringheights@... 2/16/2006 2:31:50 PM >>>

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                    Tom:

                    You and John are more than welcome. I'm in the middle of a little side project, but when I'm finished I'll send you part of my research/photos. I know that I have a 13th MA enlisted man who died on the Hoffman Farm, although the records state that he was killed outright.

                    Thanks for clarifying where the Hoffman Farm is. I had a vague idea, but erred to the west.

                    Scott