Re: [TalkAntietam] Hoffman Farm Hospital

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
      There is a park map at:
      http://www.nps.gov/anti/map_main.htm

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Scott Hann <wutheringheights@...>
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:08:04 -0000
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Hoffman Farm Hospital

      Is the Hoffman Farm Hospital site within the boundaries of the
      Antietam Battlefield? I'm very interested in this particular hospital
      site.

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
        No, but I know who owns it.

        >>> wutheringheights@... 2/16/2006 1:08:04 PM >>>

        Is the Hoffman Farm Hospital site within the boundaries of the
        Antietam Battlefield? I'm very interested in this particular hospital

        site.

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Brian Downey
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
          To add to Tom's helpfull map,

          I make the Hoffman Farm to be about 1/2 mile east of the Smoketown
          Road, just east of the NE corner of the East Woods (1862 size). That
          puts it well outside the Park, unless there's been a land acquisition
          out there I don't know about.

          Brian

        • wutheringheights@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
            Thanks Tom. Most of all I collect images of soldiers who fought at Antietam, and have at least one or two that died of wounds at that hospital. I'd love to visit it sometime!

            Scott

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
              Thanks Gerry.

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@...>
              wrote:

              > Scott,
              >
              > I do not think so....

              > "....the powers granted under the Constitution, being derived from
              the
              > people of the United States, may be resumed by them, whenever the
              same
              > shall be perverted to their injury or oppression;.."
              > Act of State of Virginia adopting the Federal Constitution, 26
              June
              > 1788

            • Scott Hann
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                Brian, thanks for the info and the map. Scott

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@...>
                wrote:

                > To add to Tom's helpfull map,
                >
                > I make the Hoffman Farm to be about 1/2 mile east of the Smoketown
                > Road, just east of the NE corner of the East Woods (1862 size).
                That
                > puts it well outside the Park, unless there's been a land
                acquisition
                > out there I don't know about.
                >
                > Brian
                >

                > > There is a park map at:
                > > http://www.nps.gov/anti/map_main.htm
                > >
                > > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

              • Scott Hann
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                  Thanks Tom. I have a booklet written by John W. Schildt
                  titled "Antietam Hospitals" which maps where the various hospitals
                  were located on the battlefield. However, I never compared it to a
                  modern map of the battlefield to see if it fell within their
                  boundaries. In my collection I have at least one or two images of
                  soldiers who died there, hence my interest in that important
                  hospital. Scott

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                    That's great, I'd like to see them, and I know John Schildt would too.
                    BTW, he is retiring this June and may be doing more writing,
                    researching, etc. The Hoffman Farm is along Keedysville Road, and is
                    marked by a sign identifying it as a Civil War Hospital. Save Historic
                    Antietam Foundation puts these signs up, free, to any property owner of
                    a documented hospital or Headquarters, and willing to have one.
                    Tom Clemens

                    >>> wutheringheights@... 2/16/2006 2:31:50 PM >>>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                      Tom:

                      You and John are more than welcome. I'm in the middle of a little side project, but when I'm finished I'll send you part of my research/photos. I know that I have a 13th MA enlisted man who died on the Hoffman Farm, although the records state that he was killed outright.

                      Thanks for clarifying where the Hoffman Farm is. I had a vague idea, but erred to the west.

                      Scott