Hoffman Farm Hospital

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
      Is the Hoffman Farm Hospital site within the boundaries of the
      Antietam Battlefield? I'm very interested in this particular hospital
      site.
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
        Scott,

        I do not think so....

        1788

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
          There is a park map at:
          http://www.nps.gov/anti/map_main.htm

          Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
            No, but I know who owns it.

            >>> wutheringheights@... 2/16/2006 1:08:04 PM >>>

            Is the Hoffman Farm Hospital site within the boundaries of the
            Antietam Battlefield? I'm very interested in this particular hospital

            site.

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Brian Downey
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
              To add to Tom's helpfull map,

              I make the Hoffman Farm to be about 1/2 mile east of the Smoketown
              Road, just east of the NE corner of the East Woods (1862 size). That
              puts it well outside the Park, unless there's been a land acquisition
              out there I don't know about.

              Brian

            • wutheringheights@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                Thanks Tom. Most of all I collect images of soldiers who fought at Antietam, and have at least one or two that died of wounds at that hospital. I'd love to visit it sometime!

                Scott

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                  Thanks Gerry.

                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Scott,
                  >
                  > I do not think so....

                  > "....the powers granted under the Constitution, being derived from
                  the
                  > people of the United States, may be resumed by them, whenever the
                  same
                  > shall be perverted to their injury or oppression;.."
                  > Act of State of Virginia adopting the Federal Constitution, 26
                  June
                  > 1788

                • Scott Hann
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                    Brian, thanks for the info and the map. Scott

                    --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@...>
                    wrote:

                    > To add to Tom's helpfull map,
                    >
                    > I make the Hoffman Farm to be about 1/2 mile east of the Smoketown
                    > Road, just east of the NE corner of the East Woods (1862 size).
                    That
                    > puts it well outside the Park, unless there's been a land
                    acquisition
                    > out there I don't know about.
                    >
                    > Brian
                    >

                    > > There is a park map at:
                    > > http://www.nps.gov/anti/map_main.htm
                    > >
                    > > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

                  • Scott Hann
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                      Thanks Tom. I have a booklet written by John W. Schildt
                      titled "Antietam Hospitals" which maps where the various hospitals
                      were located on the battlefield. However, I never compared it to a
                      modern map of the battlefield to see if it fell within their
                      boundaries. In my collection I have at least one or two images of
                      soldiers who died there, hence my interest in that important
                      hospital. Scott

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                        That's great, I'd like to see them, and I know John Schildt would too.
                        BTW, he is retiring this June and may be doing more writing,
                        researching, etc. The Hoffman Farm is along Keedysville Road, and is
                        marked by a sign identifying it as a Civil War Hospital. Save Historic
                        Antietam Foundation puts these signs up, free, to any property owner of
                        a documented hospital or Headquarters, and willing to have one.
                        Tom Clemens

                        >>> wutheringheights@... 2/16/2006 2:31:50 PM >>>

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
                          Tom:

                          You and John are more than welcome. I'm in the middle of a little side project, but when I'm finished I'll send you part of my research/photos. I know that I have a 13th MA enlisted man who died on the Hoffman Farm, although the records state that he was killed outright.

                          Thanks for clarifying where the Hoffman Farm is. I had a vague idea, but erred to the west.

                          Scott