Re: [TalkAntietam] Order 191

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 10, 2006
      Harry,

      Being the scholar of Antietam/Sharpsburg that I am, and also having
      digested Harsh's books, I agree.

      Stuart should take more blame for some of the shortcomings of the
      campaign, but as Harsh says so eloquently, Lee lost the initiative of
      the Campaign about the time the "Lost Order" was found.....

      Maybe Pete Longstreet was right in his concerns about splitting the
      ANV into so many segments....

      1788

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 10, 2006
        I believe Harsh says that Lee lost the initiative even before that - around
        the time that the timetable for the Martinsburg/Harper's Ferry operation
        went to hell. And that was pretty quick. Lee never planned for the
        possibility that the garrison at HF would hold out - at least not in SO 191.
        If he accounted for that contingency, he did not record it, nor did anyone
        else.

        Harry

        > If you're covering the beginning of the campaign, keep in mind that
        > SO 191
        > was not even written until the 9th, and not found until the 13th. I
        > don't
        > know that I'd call that the beginning of the campaign.
        >

        > Another question you might ask is just when did Lee discover that
        > McClellan
        > had taken the field against him? The last army he had faced was led
        > by
        > Pope. There was a very brief announcement, I think on the 6th, that
        > McClellan had moved his HQ outside the city limits, but I'm not sure
        > Lee
        > would have seen this, and even if he had he may not have come to the
        > conclusion that Pope had been displaced.
        >

        > One chronicler of the campaign has a rather unusual way of
        > rationalizing all
        > of this. Relying on the old saw that Lee gathered a lot of intel
        > from
        > Northern papers, he claims that Lee became aware of the change in
        > commanders
        > and even tailored his campaign on the fly to take advantage of
        > McClellan's
        > "weaknesses." But with the publication of the discovery of SO 191
        > on either
        > the 14th or 15th (can't remember right now), and Lee's claiming to
        > be
        > unaware of this discovery, he (the author) magically concludes that
        > Lee's
        > newspaper sources had dried up. Well, maybe they had dried up long
        > before.
        >

        > As Joe Harsh has pointed out, it was not important whether Lee knew
        > about
        > the discovery of the order. What was important was that he now knew
        > that
        > the AotP was much closer and moving much faster than he had been led
        > believe (for this I fault Stuart, who did not shine in the roles of
        > scouting
        > and screening in this campaign).
        >

        > Harry

        ----

        Civil
        history

        Civil
        battles

        Civil

        _____

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 11, 2006
          There are some things that are not only unknown -- but unknowable.
          > I believe Harsh says that Lee lost the initiative even before that -
          around
          > the time that the timetable for the Martinsburg/Harper's Ferry operation
          > went to hell. And that was pretty quick. Lee never planned for the
          > possibility that the garrison at HF would hold out - at least not in SO
          191.
          > If he accounted for that contingency, he did not record it, nor did anyone
          > else.
          >

          > Harry

          On
          > Behalf Of NJ Rebel
          > Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 5:59 PM
          > To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Order 191
          >

          > Harry,
          >
          > Being the scholar of Antietam/Sharpsburg that I am, and also having
          > digested Harsh's books, I agree.
          >
          > Stuart should take more blame for some of the shortcomings of the
          > campaign, but as Harsh says so eloquently, Lee lost the initiative of
          > the Campaign about the time the "Lost Order" was found.....
          >
          > Maybe Pete Longstreet was right in his concerns about splitting the
          > ANV into so many segments....

          > "....the powers granted under the Constitution, being derived from the
          > people of the United States, may be resumed by them, whenever the same
          > shall be perverted to their injury or oppression;.."
          > Act of State of Virginia adopting the Federal Constitution, 26 June
          > 1788

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 11, 2006
            The timetable established in SO 191 certainly indicates that Lee did not
            account for the hold-out of the Garrison at HF.

            Harry

            There are some things that are not only unknown -- but unknowable.
            > I believe Harsh says that Lee lost the initiative even before that -
            around
            > the time that the timetable for the Martinsburg/Harper's Ferry operation
            > went to hell. And that was pretty quick. Lee never planned for the
            > possibility that the garrison at HF would hold out - at least not in SO
            191.
            > If he accounted for that contingency, he did not record it, nor did anyone
            > else.
            >

            > Harry

            Civil
            history

            Civil
            battles

            Civil

            _____

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 11, 2006
              Harry;

              Indeed...and neither did Jackson...............

              1788

            • rotbaron@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 13, 2006
                A nice summary of theories regarding Lee and finding of S.O 191 can be found within Joe Harsh's SOUNDING THE SHALLOWS on pages 170-175.

                Be sure to keep us posted on your plans to visit the battlefield!

                As I've mentioned before our study group is doing the Antietam campaign this
                year. Next week we will be discussing the beginning of the campaign and
                will definetly hit on order 191. Having read many different sources I'm still
                confused as to when Lee knew about McClellan's finding of the order. I think
                it was Murfin who said that at 10 pm on the 13th Lee sent a message to