Order 191

  • nickrelee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 10, 2006
      As I've mentioned before our study group is doing the Antietam campaign this
      year. Next week we will be discussing the beginning of the campaign and
      will definetly hit on order 191. Having read many different sources I'm still
      confused as to when Lee knew about McClellan's finding of the order. I think
      it was Murfin who said that at 10 pm on the 13th Lee sent a message to
      McLaws(?) that said the Union was coming to Harper's Ferry, but that the Union
      moves that afternoon had not been in that direction so he assumed that Lee had
      heard about the finding and assumed Mac would go to HF. Someone else said that
      Lee did not know about it until that winter when he read a newspaper account
      of it. And someone else said that he knew of it but that the newspaper just
      revealed who's copy had been lost. So what is the most accepted version?
      --Nick

    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 10, 2006
        If you're covering the beginning of the campaign, keep in mind that SO 191
        was not even written until the 9th, and not found until the 13th. I don't
        know that I'd call that the beginning of the campaign.

        Another question you might ask is just when did Lee discover that McClellan
        had taken the field against him? The last army he had faced was led by
        Pope. There was a very brief announcement, I think on the 6th, that
        McClellan had moved his HQ outside the city limits, but I'm not sure Lee
        would have seen this, and even if he had he may not have come to the
        conclusion that Pope had been displaced.

        One chronicler of the campaign has a rather unusual way of rationalizing all
        of this. Relying on the old saw that Lee gathered a lot of intel from
        Northern papers, he claims that Lee became aware of the change in commanders
        and even tailored his campaign on the fly to take advantage of McClellan's
        "weaknesses." But with the publication of the discovery of SO 191 on either
        the 14th or 15th (can't remember right now), and Lee's claiming to be
        unaware of this discovery, he (the author) magically concludes that Lee's
        newspaper sources had dried up. Well, maybe they had dried up long before.

        As Joe Harsh has pointed out, it was not important whether Lee knew about
        the discovery of the order. What was important was that he now knew that
        the AotP was much closer and moving much faster than he had been led to
        believe (for this I fault Stuart, who did not shine in the roles of scouting
        and screening in this campaign).

        Harry

[...]

        Civil
        history

        Civil
        battles

        Civil

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 10, 2006
          Harry,

          Being the scholar of Antietam/Sharpsburg that I am, and also having
          digested Harsh's books, I agree.

          Stuart should take more blame for some of the shortcomings of the
          campaign, but as Harsh says so eloquently, Lee lost the initiative of
          the Campaign about the time the "Lost Order" was found.....

          Maybe Pete Longstreet was right in his concerns about splitting the
          ANV into so many segments....

          1788

          > If you're covering the beginning of the campaign, keep in mind that
          > SO 191
          > was not even written until the 9th, and not found until the 13th. I
          > don't
          > know that I'd call that the beginning of the campaign.
          >

          > Another question you might ask is just when did Lee discover that
          > McClellan
          > had taken the field against him? The last army he had faced was led
          > by
          > Pope. There was a very brief announcement, I think on the 6th, that
          > McClellan had moved his HQ outside the city limits, but I'm not sure
          > Lee
          > would have seen this, and even if he had he may not have come to the
          > conclusion that Pope had been displaced.
          >

          > One chronicler of the campaign has a rather unusual way of
          > rationalizing all
          > of this. Relying on the old saw that Lee gathered a lot of intel
          > from
          > Northern papers, he claims that Lee became aware of the change in
          > commanders
          > and even tailored his campaign on the fly to take advantage of
          > McClellan's
          > "weaknesses." But with the publication of the discovery of SO 191
          > on either
          > the 14th or 15th (can't remember right now), and Lee's claiming to
          > be
          > unaware of this discovery, he (the author) magically concludes that
          > Lee's
          > newspaper sources had dried up. Well, maybe they had dried up long
          > before.
          >

          > As Joe Harsh has pointed out, it was not important whether Lee knew
          > about
          > the discovery of the order. What was important was that he now knew
          > that
          > the AotP was much closer and moving much faster than he had been led
          > believe (for this I fault Stuart, who did not shine in the roles of
          > scouting
          > and screening in this campaign).
          >

          > Harry

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 10, 2006
            I believe Harsh says that Lee lost the initiative even before that - around
            the time that the timetable for the Martinsburg/Harper's Ferry operation
            went to hell. And that was pretty quick. Lee never planned for the
            possibility that the garrison at HF would hold out - at least not in SO 191.
            If he accounted for that contingency, he did not record it, nor did anyone
            else.

            Harry

            > If you're covering the beginning of the campaign, keep in mind that
            > SO 191
            > was not even written until the 9th, and not found until the 13th. I
            > don't
            > know that I'd call that the beginning of the campaign.
            >

            > Another question you might ask is just when did Lee discover that
            > McClellan
            > had taken the field against him? The last army he had faced was led
            > by
            > Pope. There was a very brief announcement, I think on the 6th, that
            > McClellan had moved his HQ outside the city limits, but I'm not sure
            > Lee
            > would have seen this, and even if he had he may not have come to the
            > conclusion that Pope had been displaced.
            >

            > One chronicler of the campaign has a rather unusual way of
            > rationalizing all
            > of this. Relying on the old saw that Lee gathered a lot of intel
            > from
            > Northern papers, he claims that Lee became aware of the change in
            > commanders
            > and even tailored his campaign on the fly to take advantage of
            > McClellan's
            > "weaknesses." But with the publication of the discovery of SO 191
            > on either
            > the 14th or 15th (can't remember right now), and Lee's claiming to
            > be
            > unaware of this discovery, he (the author) magically concludes that
            > Lee's
            > newspaper sources had dried up. Well, maybe they had dried up long
            > before.
            >

            > As Joe Harsh has pointed out, it was not important whether Lee knew
            > about
            > the discovery of the order. What was important was that he now knew
            > that
            > the AotP was much closer and moving much faster than he had been led
            > believe (for this I fault Stuart, who did not shine in the roles of
            > scouting
            > and screening in this campaign).
            >

            > Harry

            ----

            Civil
            history

            Civil
            battles

            Civil

            _____

          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 11, 2006
              There are some things that are not only unknown -- but unknowable.
              > I believe Harsh says that Lee lost the initiative even before that -
              around
              > the time that the timetable for the Martinsburg/Harper's Ferry operation
              > went to hell. And that was pretty quick. Lee never planned for the
              > possibility that the garrison at HF would hold out - at least not in SO
              191.
              > If he accounted for that contingency, he did not record it, nor did anyone
              > else.
              >

              > Harry

              On
              > Behalf Of NJ Rebel
              > Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 5:59 PM
              > To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Order 191
              >

              > Harry,
              >
              > Being the scholar of Antietam/Sharpsburg that I am, and also having
              > digested Harsh's books, I agree.
              >
              > Stuart should take more blame for some of the shortcomings of the
              > campaign, but as Harsh says so eloquently, Lee lost the initiative of
              > the Campaign about the time the "Lost Order" was found.....
              >
              > Maybe Pete Longstreet was right in his concerns about splitting the
              > ANV into so many segments....

              > "....the powers granted under the Constitution, being derived from the
              > people of the United States, may be resumed by them, whenever the same
              > shall be perverted to their injury or oppression;.."
              > Act of State of Virginia adopting the Federal Constitution, 26 June
              > 1788

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 11, 2006
                The timetable established in SO 191 certainly indicates that Lee did not
                account for the hold-out of the Garrison at HF.

                Harry

                There are some things that are not only unknown -- but unknowable.
                > I believe Harsh says that Lee lost the initiative even before that -
                around
                > the time that the timetable for the Martinsburg/Harper's Ferry operation
                > went to hell. And that was pretty quick. Lee never planned for the
                > possibility that the garrison at HF would hold out - at least not in SO
                191.
                > If he accounted for that contingency, he did not record it, nor did anyone
                > else.
                >

                > Harry

                Civil
                history

                Civil
                battles

                Civil

                _____

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 11, 2006
                  Harry;

                  Indeed...and neither did Jackson...............

                  1788

                • rotbaron@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 13, 2006
                    A nice summary of theories regarding Lee and finding of S.O 191 can be found within Joe Harsh's SOUNDING THE SHALLOWS on pages 170-175.

                    Be sure to keep us posted on your plans to visit the battlefield!